Stereophile recommended - No Martin Logans?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So much of audio is not about better or worse, it's about different flavors.
This is a MAJOR point all should note - thanks Jeff.

This is really the bottom line in the source we prefer, the components we run, the cables we choose and the speakers we listen to. I am so tired of the "this is the best" statements, as I have always stated, there is no best, just what each of us likes.

Glad to see you still with us Jeff.

Dan

What you forget is that it goes the other way as well.

Many times it can be very tempting to write an overly good review of something you own just to feel good about the purchase. And I've seen that happen plenty.

Owning our reference components has also made it a lot easier to get gear from mfrs to review, because they know we take the process seriously and are not just doing this job to get the latest free gear of the month to listen to and support our own hifi habit. We get a product in, we keep it for 2-6 months, write the review, take the pics, send it back.

All of the manufacturers know what gear I have in my system and it's a reference. If something outperforms my reference in a certain area or overall, that's ok, that's what the reference is for.

I hope this also lends a little more insight into how we operate.

Good point! Check out this experiment:

A. It is 1998, and Michael Jordan and the Bulls are about to play their final championship game. You would very much like to attend. The game is sold out, and you won’t have another opportunity to see Michael Jordan play for a long time, if ever. You know someone who has a ticket for sale. What is the most you would be willing to pay for it?

B. It is 1998, and Michael Jordan and the Bulls are about to play their final championship game. You have a ticket to the game and would very much like to attend. The game is sold out, and you won’t have another opportunity to see Michael Jordan play for a long time, if ever. What is the least that you would accept for a ticket?

The researcher reports that while his students were willing to pay only $330, on average, in A, they demanded $1,920, on average, in B. How much is the ticket worth? Without knowing the answer, it is far too likely that you will hold onto it long after it makes sense to give it up for a great price. The same holds true for anything you own, including audio equipment.

Bottom line, is that reviewers may be unconsciously biased, even if they are not open shysters. Reviewees should avoid being biased by using reviews as a guide after one listens to equipment in his own room first.

Reviewees should avoid being biased by using reviews as a guide after one listens to equipment in his own room first.

So true......why is this just so hard for so many people? You'd never buy a car based on what someone else thinks (and without driving it first), so why do people spend the astronomical amounts of money required for high-end audio equipment without first "test driving" it? Beats me. :confused:

BTW Jeff,

Congrats on making Stereophile's letter page. I couldn't help but notice...

~VDR

Latest posts

Back