Stands for the CLS

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiTT

Super User
Reaction score
I've been mulling this over and it's come up for discussion in the thread about my new CLS's, but I wanted to get a seperate thread going about what to do about stands for the CLS.

Pretty much everyone seems to agree that they benefit from some sort of stand. I'd been thinking about the Sound Anchor option - but they are $600.00 for a set. I'd appreciate hearing the Pro's and Con's of this option.

What about other options? I know that a few folks here have already made their own. I'd appreciate feedback, ideas, photograps etc. and hope that this thread could be a resource for CLS owners now and in the future.

Thanks in advance for all reply's!

Stands are needed but Sound anchors are a eye sore in my book. Sorry Neil They get the job done at the expense of being boxy looking with the big front metal bar. I am designing 2 metal sets now ! Ill post pics when done.
A lot has to do with the hight you sit at as to how high they need to be and room will also play into effect. That is why I am making custom ones. A few here have made wooden stands that were very nice. Tailored to their room and listening height. One thing is for sure they do need to get up off the ground a bit. !

You can always barrow my patented paint can stand!

Attachments

• S6301766 (Small).JPG
    S6301766 (Small).JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 883
I wanted to get a seperate thread going about what to do about stands for the CLS. Pretty much everyone seems to agree that they benefit from some sort of stand. I'd been thinking about the Sound Anchor option - but they are $600.00 for a set. I'd appreciate hearing the Pro's and Con's of this option. What about other options? I know that a few folks here have already made their own.
Tim, getting the panels off the floor improves midrange clarity and gets rid of the floor reflections that mess up the bass. I think everybody pretty much gets that now. And while getting the speakers off the floor can be solved any number of ways, only one design meets the need for really solid bracing (keeping the top of the panel from swaying back and forth) and that is the Sound Anchor stand. An unrestrained panel cannot deliver the stunning transients for which electrostats are the champions! In fact, years ago, befor the stands, I used PVC pipe to brace the top of the panels to the back wall, and the improvement was spectacular. I suspect this requirement led to the "Airframe" pre-stressed panel frame on the new Vista/Vantage/Summit.

I just spoke to Larry Diaz (owner) at the Hi-Fi Palace in Hollywood Florida (near the Sound Anchor factory) and he said he'd give our members special prices, especially if he could put together a half a dozen orders. The lead time on single order is around 5 weeks (but figure 3 months!) so I urge any of you that are interested to get in touch with him. >Neil

Larry Diaz - President of High-End Palace
Tel 305 220-2811
[email protected]

Stands are needed but Sound anchors are a eye sore in my book. Sorry Neil They get the job done at the expense of being boxy looking with the big front metal bar. I am designing 2 metal sets now !
Actually Chris, photos don't really do the SA stands justice. They are quite thoughtfully designed -- for instance, the front uprights are apart exactly the width of the black stator, the electonics module is perfectly supported, and the all-important back braces are very rigid but cleverly designed not to be klunky -- and you can even sand fill the stand if you want. In a normal room (as opposed to one with white floors and white walls!) the stands are so minimalist they practically disappear and your eye is focused on the panels which seem to magically float above the ground. Go to my system page and click on the 'big picture' link -- "it's the next best thing to being there!" ;)

I also really like these ones made by another of our members...

Attachments

• CLS%20stands%20011%20%28Large%29[1].jpg
    CLS%20stands%20011%20%28Large%29[1].jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 803
Last edited:
Actually Chris, photos don't really do the SA stands justice. They are quite thoughtfully designed -- for instance, the front uprights are apart exactly the width of the black stator, the electonics module is perfectly supported, and the all-important back braces are very rigid but cleverly designed not to be klunky -- and you can even sand fill the stand if you want. In a normal room (as opposed to one with white floors and white walls!) the stands are so minimalist they practically disappear and your eye is focused on the panels which seem to magically float above the ground. Go to my system page and click on the 'big picture' link -- "it's the next best thing to being there!" ;)

Neil, would you mind posting a close up of the Sound Anchor stands here in this thread?

Attachments

• Resize%20of%20ML4[1].jpg
    Resize%20of%20ML4[1].jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 937

Attachments

• SAstands.det1.jpg
    SAstands.det1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 689
  • SAstands.det2.jpg
    SAstands.det2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 671
  • SAstands.det3.jpg
    SAstands.det3.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 688
Last edited:
only one design meets the need for really solid bracing (keeping the top of the panel from swaying back and forth) and that is the Sound Anchor stand. An unrestrained panel cannot deliver the stunning transients for which electrostats are the champions!
This is essentially what Quad did to improve one of their 'stats after they heard the results of what the late Alastair Robertson-Aikman (founder of SME) did to it by usiing rear bracing.

Last edited:
This is essentially what Quad did to improve one of their 'stats after they heard the results of what the late Alastair Robertson-Aikman (founder of SME) did to it by usiing rear bracing.
The Arcici stand provided bracing but is no longer in production. The ones from Mr. Frigen in Croatia are excellent, but a bit overkill IMO; like Sound Anchors on 'roids. Much more than needed to get the job done :rolleyes: in his room, they might look better painted white
thumbsup.gif

But even if you don't want to do stands, at least tie the top of the frame to the back wall with a length of 3/4" PVC pipe or 5/8" alum. tubing -- just so you'll know what ultimate transient response sounds like
yes.gif
thumbsup.gif

I'm adding some detail pics to post #10.

Last edited:
Neil , It looks as you need to dust the speakers and the stands. ! ;)

I will be resurrecting a ARCICI type of design with better looks !

Last edited:
Sound Anchor Stands are the way to go, more.....

A few years ago when the CLS 2z's were de-commissioned, our audio society got a cattle call from Devon Zell and we had a group buy of 3 pair.

After we received the speakers we got on the horn with Sound Anchor and arranged another group buy of SA stands at a nice discount. These things are made to order and take some time to get.

Sound Anchor is in Palm Bay, Florida that's roughly 150 miles north of Hollywood ( and a straight shot across the state east of Tampa). Sound Anchor has a website and they mainly sell direct to the customer and not through dealerships.

These things are very very heavy and are shipped pre-filled with lead and mounted on plywood, so it would be much more convenient to buy direct anyway. There really is no advantage to buying from an alleged dealer. Also, the CLS stands are made to order. This was the case even before the CLS was discontinued.

http://www.soundanchors.com/

As far as the sound, the rigid bracing of the panel and the decoupling of the electronics box yields big results in dimensionality and clarity of the soundfield. Also, while the amount of bass seems less due to the lack of support, the quality of the bass improves as well. You would not believe how much panel swaying goes on with the CLS until it's gone!

These stands are a serious bit of hardware and yield sonic improvements worth well beyond their cost. FWIW, I do not find them to be at all offensive in asthetics either.

Good luck and welcome to the CLS family :)
If you're ever in the West Palm Beach area, give me a shout and you can hear mine in their dedicated room.

raygunn, how can I tell if mine came filled with lead? I mean, they really are heavy but I can still lift one by myself ;-)

Neil , It looks as you need to dust the speakers and the stands. ! ;) I will be resurrecting a ARCICI type of design with better looks !
I know, I know! I try to keep everything covered but Tucson is impossible dust-wise.
Where did you find the ARCICI example?

From a member here. He has the originals . I will be making mine a bit more sleek and with a touch more eloquence. ARCICI were practical but still were not perfect.

I know its a tough game keeping the dust off in a dry climate like AZ. Hell its not easy in a humid climate like MI.

if I remember correctly, that is specified whe you order.
You can get them un-filled, lead-filled, or sand-filled.

The advantage is if you let SA fill them, they get sealed up.

Latest posts

Back