Squeezebox Duet opinions?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, got it set up last night and it couldn't have been any easier. I think it took a total of about 20 minutes including installing/configuring the squeezebox server software and reprogramming my main remote control. So far, it seems very easy to use, very fast, and very intuitive. I like it alot! Very significantly better than using the PS3. It is bummer to have to have a second remote control laying around since I've not had to use more than 1 remote in years, but there is no way that it would be as convenient without using a different remote. I will be trying ipeng to compare it to the Squeezebox remote soon. As far as SQ goes, I have not done much real listening because I couldn't find my digital interconnects and I am letting it do the DAC at the moment.... its built in DAC is mediocre at best. I'll go buy another cable today and get it hooked up correctly and see how it sounds, but I have no doubt that it won't have any issues.

Did you get the Duet or the Touch (hopefully the latter)?

Well, got it set up last night and it couldn't have been any easier. I think it took a total of about 20 minutes including installing/configuring the squeezebox server software and reprogramming my main remote control. So far, it seems very easy to use, very fast, and very intuitive. I like it alot! Very significantly better than using the PS3. It is bummer to have to have a second remote control laying around since I've not had to use more than 1 remote in years, but there is no way that it would be as convenient without using a different remote. I will be trying ipeng to compare it to the Squeezebox remote soon. As far as SQ goes, I have not done much real listening because I couldn't find my digital interconnects and I am letting it do the DAC at the moment.... its built in DAC is mediocre at best. I'll go buy another cable today and get it hooked up correctly and see how it sounds, but I have no doubt that it won't have any issues.

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it. You'll get a great performance boost when you go through a good DAC.

Did you get the Duet or the Touch (hopefully the latter)?

I picked up a Duet. I just don't like the idea of the LCD display sitting over with the equipment. The duet is small and hides away easily. So, I end up with 24/48 instead of 24/96..... I don't think my ears are trained enough to hear that difference, anyway, and 90% of my music is stored in 16/44.

I did get a new optical cable today and am listening now. It is certainly better than it was, but I sort of feel like something is off. I need to do some AB with the PS3, but both being digital out, I can't see there really being a difference. Probably just in my head.... maybe I shouldn't have been listening to those WattPuppies today? lol. But the convenience and usability of the device is incredible. Easily use playlists, play random files/genres/artists, flip through songs at will, and the online radio apps are nice for just background music.

... but I sort of feel like something is off. I need to do some AB with the PS3, but both being digital out, I can't see there really being a difference. Probably just in my head...

Check the Squeezebox Server settings and make sure you have Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain and Bitrate limiting turned off. Also, here's an active thread on the Squeezebox forums discussing how to optimize your audio settings... http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=548960

Back