SqueezeBox Duet impressions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conradjohnsonfan

Reaction score
Got one of the Duets. Pretty darn slick stuff. Easy as pie install, smoothless playback over my wireless network.

Was worried at first, though, it sounded too "digital" and "thin". Connected via SPDIF to an Integra Research RDC-7 preamp, feeding ML Purity loudspeakers. Got to reading the manual and discovered that the Squeezebox does not natively support my 30 gigabytes of Apple Lossless files. Rather, it transcodes them to a usable format, like FLAC. That threw up a red flag right there. Any extra digital processing like that has to be a bad thing. I am in the process of reloading everything as a WAV file that can be natively streamed via hardware.

Granted, on a less revealing system, perhaps the difference is negligible, but in this case, it made a noticeable difference. The harsh digital edge is gone now, and it cetainly sounds "high-end" now. WAV or some other native format is the only way to go.

Overall, terrific little product. Highly recommended.

If you think the native hardware sounds good, wait till you try
-digital out to an outboard DAC, and
-playing high-res (24/96) tracks (which although downsampled to 24/48 for the Duet), still sound nuch more "analog" like than Redbook CD's!

The next-gen Squeezebox "Touch", which is expected to be released in Sept, is rumored to natively support 24/96 playback! But, no need to fret and think about returning the Duet, as you'll probably end up with multiple Squeezeboxes throughout your home, and just relegate the Duet to another room! I have FOUR Squeezeboxes of various vintages scattered about.

Yes, I have been meaning to try some high-rez files. I was using an M-Audio transit to get SPDIF output from my laptop, but it was a three day nightmare trying to diagnose audible digital errors. I finally gave up, ponied up the cash, and now couldn't be happier with the Squeezebox.

If you think the native hardware sounds good, wait till you try
-digital out to an outboard DAC, and
-playing high-res (24/96) tracks (which although downsampled to 24/48 for the Duet), still sound nuch more "analog" like than Redbook CD's!

The next-gen Squeezebox "Touch", which is expected to be released in Sept, is rumored to natively support 24/96 playback! But, no need to fret and think about returning the Duet, as you'll probably end up with multiple Squeezeboxes throughout your home, and just relegate the Duet to another room! I have FOUR Squeezeboxes of various vintages scattered about.

Try some 24/96 tracks (or an entire album) from HDTracks.com
They also offer FREE 24/96 sampler downloads from time to time.

Try some 24/96 tracks (or an entire album) from HDTracks.com
They also offer FREE 24/96 sampler downloads from time to time.

I have seen some 44.1/48 samplers... will keep an eye out... thanks for the heads up!

Even though it downsamples, I am guessing is similar to the effect I perceive with HDTV resolutions. Take a 720p native display, and feed it good 1080i/p content, and it typically looks sharper and clearer to my eye than native 720p.

They're great, aren't they?

Now - transcoding shouldn't change the sound one iota. I have a small portion of my library in ALAC and transcoding doesn't do anything I can hear.

Are you sure your server has enough grunt to handle the transcoding? That said, my Pentium II 400 (a few years ago) had no problems so I don't see why anything else would.

Also, make sure you are not transcoding the ALAC files to something like MP3 - now that WILL screw up your sound...... Under settings --> Advanced --> File Types is where you select what happens with transcoding. Ensure your ALAC files are being transcoded to .WAV or .FLAC (some people swear .WAV sounds better but it shouldn't and I can't hear any difference) and not MP3 or any other lossy format.

After further listening perhaps the transcoding was not the issue. I believe the major issue was that I had been using variable volume control on the digital output. Once I selected fixed volume, which according to the help file in the server software allows "perfect" digital passthrough, there was a major upgrade in sound quality.

They're great, aren't they?

Now - transcoding shouldn't change the sound one iota. I have a small portion of my library in ALAC and transcoding doesn't do anything I can hear.

Are you sure your server has enough grunt to handle the transcoding? That said, my Pentium II 400 (a few years ago) had no problems so I don't see why anything else would.

Also, make sure you are not transcoding the ALAC files to something like MP3 - now that WILL screw up your sound...... Under settings --> Advanced --> File Types is where you select what happens with transcoding. Ensure your ALAC files are being transcoded to .WAV or .FLAC (some people swear .WAV sounds better but it shouldn't and I can't hear any difference) and not MP3 or any other lossy format.

Yes - the digital volume screws with sound too - either set it at fixed as you have done or leave it at 100%, using the preamp to control volume.

I'm not sure how much you've fiddled with the settings, but also ensure you don't have bitrate limiting turned on for your player. This is under the player settings.

Yeah, I made sure of that one too. Once I seemingly got all the variables setup correctly... the sound through my DAC is absolutely amazing. I imagine that in a blind test, you could take any source in the sub 3k range (arbitrary number, I know), and be hard pressed to tell any difference.

Yes - the digital volume screws with sound too - either set it at fixed as you have done or leave it at 100%, using the preamp to control volume.

I'm not sure how much you've fiddled with the settings, but also ensure you don't have bitrate limiting turned on for your player. This is under the player settings.

squeezebox duet plus squeezebox classic: best of both worlds

CJFan, I am glad that you have discovered this delightful source of music. I got into the Duet about a year and half ago after reading Steve Stone's review in The Absolute Sound. I use it mostly for internet radio and subscription sources (Rhapsody, Sirius, Pandora) and with higher bit-rate sources (256, 320) it is very difficult to tell from originals. Earlier this year I got a Squeezebox Classic as I was having some trouble keeping the Duet box locked into my internet sources. The combination of the Classic and the Duet Controller is the best way to go. You have the ability to use the controller screen (the Classic is too far away from me to read) and all of its other neat features.
I am running the Classic into my Esoteric D-03 DAC and upsampling all 44.1k to 176.4. The DAC is slaved to an Esoteric G-ORb atomic clock. The only problem with this set up is that I am spending more time listening to this source than my other "higher end" sources combined due to ease of use. But I don't feel that I am missing out. Once you discover the thousands of free internet radio sources out there, it becomes almost addictive behavior.
Happy Listening

One way to bring the Squeezebox products to the next level is to have them modified by Wayne at Bolder Cable. He offers different levels of modification for both the digital and analog outputs. I had the enthusuast level digital mod done to my Duet and it really improved all aspects of the sound and even though I am using a DAC it definitely sound less digital and more like a high end component. Highly recommended.

One way to bring the Squeezebox products to the next level is to have them modified by Wayne at Bolder Cable. He offers different levels of modification for both the digital and analog outputs. I had the enthusuast level digital mod done to my Duet and it really improved all aspects of the sound and even though I am using a DAC it definitely sound less digital and more like a high end component. Highly recommended.

What does he do to make it a better digital transport?

Hey Alan, was there any word of it hosting its own Squeezecentre and database? That is the "feature" to which I'm most looking forward - if ever!

Unfortunately, looks like Logitech NZ quickly pulled that webpage since it was apparently prematurely posted live. There were a whole series of pics and specs, but I didn't see mention of whether it only runs off SqueezeCenter, or also a local "slimmed down" variant. I also didn't see any details about it's power supply, DAC, nor audio performance specs. I'm sure there will be continued speculation until it's "officially" announced (hopefully soon)! Just follow the "Touch" thread over at at the Slimdevices forum.

Latest posts

Back