Squeezebox Duet announced!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
For those contemplating going with a music streamer, Slimdevices/Logitech has announced the new Squeezebox Duet. It is a display-less "Receiver" box, paired with an infrared/wi-fi enabled remote "Controller" with a 2.4" color LCD display. Audio/performance specs are almost identical to the Squeezebox 2 and 3, but it uses a Wolfson 24-bit DAC rather than a Burr-Brown. The actual audio performance remains to be seen (heard ;)). I would get one ONLY if it equals, or exceeds, the current functionality and ease of use of my current Squeezebox. More details available here... http://www.slimdevices.com/index.html

Attachments

• duet (Small).jpg
    duet (Small).jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 246
AWESOME!

I've been itching for a Squeezebox with a better remote interface.

Joey

I think I finally found something worth replacing my old AudioTrons with.

These are very, very cool.

I figured they would have to come out with a portable unit with a display....to compete with the likes of SONOS. One more option for me to consider I suppose....maybe Ill just get into vinyl instead ;)

Very very cool.

Shame it still doesn't have master clock input, as when I finally get around to upgrading my X-DAC that will be something for which I will be looking.

Other than that, it doesn't really do anything my current SB3 doesn't do along with my "SlimRemote" PDA.

It places a color display in the palm of your hand which is nice. Would this be considered the SB4 (4th generation squeezebox)?

$399... not bad at all....

If I have disposable cash, this might just replace my good ol' and trusty SB3. I definitely like the remote.

Too bad it doesn’t have balanced output. :confused:

Why would you want balanced analog out on a product like this? Wouldn't you prefer to use the digital out and a high end external DAC? I can't imagine the DAC in this thing is that great, balanced or not.

Why would you want balanced analog out on a product like this? Wouldn't you prefer to use the digital out and a high end external DAC? I can't imagine the DAC in this thing is that great, balanced or not.

Rich, you're right! I would go that route with a external DAC. My bad! :confused:

Rich, you're right! I would go that route with a external DAC. My bad! :confused:

External DAC for sure - but I still want master clock sync! OK, OK, the Transporter does, but how much money are you wasting if you buy that not to use its internal DAC!

I won’t go streaming digital format until it is 100% not 98% but 100% as good if not better then my CDP.

Would this new device still be considered essentially equal to the current SB3, just with a nicer remote that displays album art? Or is it inferior in some way?

Would this new device still be considered essentially equal to the current SB3, just with a nicer remote that displays album art? Or is it inferior in some way?

Who knows? Yet to hear it or even see it. On first glance though I'd say inferior, simply because there is no display as on an SB3. The price is cheaper to match this inference. But as I said - I reserve judgement.

I suppose that there were many concerned that when Logitech bought Slim Devices that the quality would slip. One thing I did notice, is that the SB3, the Duet, and the Transporter all use different DAC's. Would the new one in the Duet be considered inferior to the one that was in the SB3? Anyone know?

As I said - I am yet to hear it so I reserve judgement.

That said - as a whole I don't think DAC chips matter that much in terms of sound quality - most modern chips perform technically almost identically, and I've heard good DACs based on all sorts of chips.

What matters in my opinion is the design and quality of the analogue output stage.

Whatever the DAC, combine it with a good analogue output stage (and this includes its power supply, etc) then it will be great. Combine it with a junky output stage (eg. the Crystal DAC in the iPod) and it will sound bad.

Back