Spires are breaking in nicely!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveneumann

Reaction score
I have about 70 hours on them now and last night everything seemed to come together perfectly. It was the first time that I can truly say they were as enjoyable as my previous Quad 2805. I loved the Quads, but reliability issues forced me to trade them in on the Spires.

The Spires deliver more detail than the Quads, and uncover little musical nuances I have not heard before. They also have real bass and more extended highs. Listening to a German pressing of Dire Straits first album last night, I found myself thinking that it just doesn't get much better than this!

The only thing that the Quads did better was to highlight vocals and vocal layering. Regardless of the music and playback level, they always seemed to spotlight vocals more than any other part of the music. With the Spires, the vocals aren't so much spotlighted as just mixed with the rest of the music.

My room is 12 X 25 X 8 with an angled ceiling. As many others on this forum have said, careful set-up has payed off. I started them 81" apart (at the inside edges) and with each couple of inches I have moved them closer together, the center image has become more solid with greater dimensionality. They are currently 74" apart and this seems to be ideal. They are toed in slightly more than the 1/3 recommendation by ML. They are tilted slightly downward so the centers of the panel are firing straight at me, by extending the rear spikes. This tilting also helped to solidify the center images, without lowering the soundstage too much. My listening seat is 100" as measured from my ear to the top of each panel.

I still have to experiment with moving them out further from the front wall. Currently they are 52" out (as measured by the top of the panel) and I have the bass control on -2, but sometimes I am getting some bass boom. That will be my project for today.

Bottom line, these are great speakers!

Rest of system: Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II, Dynavector XX2, McIntosh C2300, McIntosh Mc275, Adept Response 6, Cardas Golden Reference wires, WSS power cords.

Last edited:
Welcome ! The Spires are a great design. Martin Logan hit a home run with these. They were so good they upstaged their big brother to the sideline.

Having not spent years with Quads , could it be the point source design in them that causes vocals to be more pronounced as you say. I like the Quads and heard the new ones and find them to be a bit laid back. My CLS are much more articulate in my ears.

I think what you are finely hearing is the way it was meant to be heard. ;)

Dave, thanks for the insightfull report, while I only have 40-50 hrs on mine, so far it was quite evident after about only ten hours that they were keepers !

it's ironic for our demensions are damn near the same ! with mine being a couple inches further apart and ten inches closer to the wall behind !

my room demensions are 14'6" x 23' x8'

Reading all this only makes me want my Spires to be delivered even more. Obviously the trek north of the 49th parallel is a slow one. But I'm sure it'll be worth it! :)

C.A.P. - I agree that the Spires are more articulate than the Quads, that is a good way to put it. I don't know if it is the point source nature of the Quads that causes the vocals to be so highlighted but the effect is real and quite easy to distinguish.

Dave - which do you like better with your Spires, the Rogue M150's or the Plinius? When I auditioned the Spires at the dealer, I heard them with a McIntosh 252 and the 275.

Regards,

Dave

Dave - which do you like better with your Spires, the Rogue M150's or the Plinius? When I auditioned the Spires at the dealer, I heard them with a McIntosh 252 and the 275.

Regards,

Dave

Dave, I've been doing a little A/B'ing this weekend between the two. As sweet as my 'plinny' is when biased fully in Class 'A', I still feel there is an extra once of mid-range magic with my M-150's.

I figure my Spire's to be pretty much run-in with in the next week, so I may try this again.

The only thing that the Quads did better was to highlight vocals and vocal layering. Regardless of the music and playback level, they always seemed to spotlight vocals more than any other part of the music. With the Spires, the vocals aren't so much spotlighted as just mixed with the rest of the music..

David, try raking your Spire's more forward (increase reak spike ht vs. front) I've noticed this to improve all aspects of what you mention.

Latest posts

Back