Spire ..blinking red..any ideas?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhpm510

Reaction score
Of course these things happen when customer service is closed..

One of my Spires has a blinking LED on the back and the manual indicates it is either stuck initializing or it overheated and to unplug it. Well, I unplugged it overnight and no change when I plugged it back in.

(Manual says: " Flashing Red: Initializing or Safe mode. This indicates that
the Spire is initializing. This also indicates if the Spire’s
temperature has exceeded nominal operating range. If the
Spire overheats, please allow the Spire to cool and reset
it by unplugging the unit and plugging it back in.)"

Anyone experience this and what was the fix? Did you need to ship it back to KS for a fix?

Thanks in advance!

blinking Spire

just curious does the blinking spire still play ok? does the the amp feel warmer than usual, notice any distortion how did you notice the blinking light did the spire shut down? I have summits and i would be interested in to know what to look for.

Sorry to hear about this issue, it is the first time I have heard of such a thing. The Spire crossover does indeed have a temperature sensor, but why it has not reset after leaving unplugged overnight leaves me unsure as to what is going on inside. I guess a call to ML is needed..

I had that issue with one of my Summits a few years ago, but leaving unplugged overnight fixed it. Sounds like you need to call ML support.

Hmm, crossover huh? I am out of warranty, any idea what this might run?
I suppose I need to improve my solder skills for this one?

Last edited:
just curious does the blinking spire still play ok? does the the amp feel warmer than usual, notice any distortion how did you notice the blinking light did the spire shut down? I have summits and i would be interested in to know what to look for.

The speaker sounds okay, with the exception of the powered driver. No bass is coming out of the driver .At least I have sub to get me by until I can get it back in the game, but 2 channel listening is not the same.

Noticed it as something sounded off. I was behind the speaker for some reason and saw the blinking light.
Rear/amp is cool to the touch.

Last edited:
The speaker sounds okay, with the exception of the powered driver. No bass is coming out of the driver .At least I have sub to get me by until I can get it back in the game, but 2 channel listening is not the same.

Sounds like something broke in the crossover or the amp that powers the Woofer. Good luck, man!

Back