Spike feet

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron

Reaction score
I just purchased the Summit speakers. I have hardwood floors which I do not want to damage. Will the spikes improve the sound considerbly over the smooth metal feet on hardwood. Looking for some opinions from individuals with hardwood floors that have tried both. I suppose I don't have to move the speakers once the spike feet are on? Thanks for your responses.

I dont think that spikes are necessary when your speakers are on a solid "hardwood floor' there are necessary when used on carpeting to couple them with the floor and not float on the carpet. You could position your speakers with the soft feet then when you are satisfied with the placement use spikes with a cone to protect your floor.

I am not quite sure what a cone looks like. Will that defeat the purpose of the spike feet. Where can they be purchased?

Last edited:
I have hardwood floors and use spikes with spike cups under them. I wouldn't use spikes without the cups. My cups are about the size of a nickel so good contact over a small area.
Even my amp stand has spikes and I use cups under them also. This rack has large cups.

Lee

Hi Ron,

I've had hardwood floors for about 8 years now. At first, I determined the best positon with the gliders and then spiked the speaker directly into the floor. Major increase in performance on all levels.

Rich came and visited last summer. He suggested that I buy something to decouple the speaker from the floor since the bass output of the Summits was definitely sending vibrations through the wood floor system.

You can check out the Music Direct website for many iterations of this type of product but I ended up purchasing the BDR "wide pits". The spikes simply rest inside the dimple of the device.

They do a phenomenal job of isolating the speaker from the floor resulting in another substantial gain in clarity, speed, soundstaging, and mid / low bass definition.

Only down side is that they are a bit pricey ($82 +/- per each) but to me, worth every penny.

The other plus is that Music Direct offers a 30 day money back so you can audition and judge for yourself. However, I strongly recommend that you get the Summits broken in and in the right place before you go this route.

Good luck and happy listening.

GG

My Summits are broken in now. I purchased them used on audiogon in the Los Angeles area. Right in my own backyard. Can I use a penny under each spike until I get something more favorable? That should still be a big improvement???

Hi Ron,

I've had hardwood floors for about 8 years now. At first, I determined the best positon with the gliders and then spiked the speaker directly into the floor. Major increase in performance on all levels.

Rich came and visited last summer. He suggested that I buy something to decouple the speaker from the floor since the bass output of the Summits was definitely sending vibrations through the wood floor system.

You can check out the Music Direct website for many iterations of this type of product but I ended up purchasing the BDR "wide pits". The spikes simply rest inside the dimple of the device.

They do a phenomenal job of isolating the speaker from the floor resulting in another substantial gain in clarity, speed, soundstaging, and mid / low bass definition.

Only down side is that they are a bit pricey ($82 +/- per each) but to me, worth every penny.

The other plus is that Music Direct offers a 30 day money back so you can audition and judge for yourself. However, I strongly recommend that you get the Summits broken in and in the right place before you go this route.

Good luck and happy listening.

GG

Another item from Music Direct that is pricey but some people swear by for speaker vibration control are stillpoints. Stillpoints claims that speaker vibration control is their most popular application other than the source. There is a 30 day money back guarantee if you are adventurous.

At the very least as a temporary measure, a penny should work okay. I've gotten reasonably good results that way, especially if you apply a bit of Blu Tack to the bottom of the coin.

- Jason

I now have my Vantages listed on audiogon at a reasonable price. Lowest one listed. I just want to move them.

I would also check out http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/footers.htm as he has VERY good products at very reasonable prices. Email Steve and tell him what you want to do and he will send back some options very quickly.

Good Luck-

I ordered from them. The little small cone foot that goes under the spikes. They are about $8.50 each. I will try them for starters.

I ordered from them. The little small cone foot that goes under the spikes. They are about $8.50 each. I will try them for starters.

Ron,

You will be very happy with them. You will not want to change. I promise.

I have hardwood floors and use spikes with spike cups under them. I wouldn't use spikes without the cups. My cups are about the size of a nickel so good contact over a small area.
Even my amp stand has spikes and I use cups under them also. This rack has large cups.

Lee

Yup, use them this way! I deleted my other post, it was a mistake.
Mark

Can I just put a small rug on the wooden floor were the speaker is placed, and use the spikes? I never thought the spikes were important until reading this post. What are the spikes actually doing?

Wide pits

Hi Ron,

GG

Gordon,

Which version of the BDR wide pits did you go with . . . . the Mark III or IV?

Thanks!

Joe

Can I just put a small rug on the wooden floor were the speaker is placed, and use the spikes? I never thought the spikes were important until reading this post. What are the spikes actually doing?

Spikes in audio applications are used for "Mechanical Grounding". This both allows a path for spurious vibrations to follow (they drain away from the component in question and dissipate as heat), as well as providing a reduced contact point on the surface the component is mated to, thus preventing the translation of any of that surfaces vibrations being transmitted back into the component. A very effective and cheap tweak, especially when combined with mass loading.

You can put a small rug under the spikes, but it will negate their effect. The intention of the spike is to couple the component to a rigid surface. If the spike penetrates the carpet that would work, but it would also defeat your purpose of protecting the floor underneath. Your best option is to use spikes coupled to a rigid disk as others have suggested here. I highly recommend the BDR products and use them widely through out my entire system.

Last edited:
Back