Speaker Surround loose--How to repair!?!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Classified Forum Moderator
Reaction score
OK, I was frantic last Friday wen I heard a tiny buzz coming from the woofer on my right speaker (Sequel). :eek: When I took it all apart, I found that the surround had come loose from the basket, from about 5:00 to 7:00. Tight as a drum everywhere else though...

When I pressed it back down, it seemed to hold somewhat, and I've been running them sort of carefully for the last few days, with no buzz...

But I KNOW it will let loose again, if I don't fix it. :stop:

So what sort of adhesive is strong enough to hold Buytl Rubber to the metal basket, but won't attack the rubber? The stuff thats on there now looks a LOT like Barge cement, but I'd think that would attack the rubber...

Should I use contact cement? Buy special "speaker rebuilding glue? Will standard-grade PVA work (I use it for bookbinding, and I've read on most speaker rebuilding sites that they use PVA). Or should I just say "screw it" and order a new pair from Martin logan?...

Thanks in advance for your help,
--Rchard C.

From my car audio experience, we have alwayse used a "CA" glue.... which is like a 2-part contact adhesive. Should do the trick :)

Your ML aren't car speakers. I would simply order a new driver from ML. All parts have a MTBF and your woofer may have reached it. Actually a new driver shouldn't be too expensive.

Your ML aren't car speakers. I would simply order a new driver from ML. All parts have a MTBF and your woofer may have reached it. Actually a new driver shouldn't be too expensive.

Order two new drivers or you may be out of balance! Certainly the purist option!

Order two new drivers or you may be out of balance! Certainly the purist option!

I fully second that. Get two new drivers.

If ML does not offer replacements (they did not for my Monoliths seven yrs ago), then get the T/S parameters for the Sequel woofer (is it Sequel I or II?) and go shopping at Madisound for an equivalent.

Replacing a woofer is pretty easy, there are multiple threads here on doing that.

The improvement in sound will be noticable.

Back