Speaker Size and Placement

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dcolt

Hi all,

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm picking up five Frescos and a 4306 on Friday along with a new Pioneer 6070HD plasma. The system will be paired up with a 12" Paradigm sub. I know it's not a ML, but it's performed well and I'm not ready to swap it out just yet. I've been busy all week doing the pre-wiring and getting everything ready.

I have two questions:

1) Since we're switching from a rear projection to the plasma, appearance is unfortunately a very imporant factor. With the configuration of the room, towers just aren't going to look right, thus necessitating the on-wall setup. I'm a bit concerned about the Fresco's ability to fill the room, however, as it's fairly good sized. It's 22' x 15' with an 8' beamed ceiling, carpeting, and a large sectional. Anyone have any thoughts on the ability of the Frescos to perform well in this sized room?

2) In terms of rear speaker placement, they're currently installed on the wall directly behind the couch, at approximately ear level. Assuming I'm sticking with a 5.1 system (which I am for now), is this the best overall location for the speakers or am I better off trying to move them to the corners and set them on a diagonal?

Thanks again for all of the help so far! This is a great forum.

Your room is big enough for towers...i would consider getting two ML Towers (Vista or Vantages). See my pics in my signature...it may not be your cup of tea, but at least gives you an idea. My room is only 16 x 11...so, it's tiny compared to yours.

Believe me, I know it's big enough for towers! If appearance weren't the issue that it is, that's the route I would be taking. But given that the circumstances are what they are, I'm curious to get everyone's take on the ability of the Frescos (3 up front, 2 in the rear) to perform well in this environment. It's pretty audio friendly with the beamed ceiling, raised foundation, carpet, etc. and my Paradigm monitor 5's had no problem rattling the hell out of it during a good movie. I'm just hoping the Frescos can perform similarly!

Back