Speaker Set up

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lodom

Reaction score
I'm looking at ML speakers and is it true that the listening position and the speaker position have to be out in the room with nothing between them to get the most out of them? I can't pull the sofa out from the wall where I'll be sitting and I need to position the TV on an entertainment center on the opposite wall with speakers on either side. I'm wondering if this will smear the image, since the TV will block a bit of the sound coming off the rear wall? If this is the case, is there another cone speaker that will come close to the ML electrostat sound? I fell in love with the speakers at a BB, but the listening position was out in the middle of the room and there was a projection TV on the wall, so the speakers were in an ideal position for auditioning. They absolutely killed anything else I listened to that day. I loved the detail and clean sound. Thanks.

I think these problems will occur with any speaker, not just with ML. I also have a large cathode tv set between my speakers, and it helps a lot when I place a small acoustic panel in front of the screen while listening to music. This helps deepening the soundstage.
The problem with the rear wall right behind your ears can also be solved at least a bit by dampening the wall with an acoustic panel.

The Martin Logan speaker will have less of a problem than a conventional speaker with your tv and entertainment system between the speakers. I believe the horizontal dispersion is not as wide. I have no problems with my set up. If given the choice, it is better to have nothing between the speakers.

Thanks for the responses. I was just concerned that there would be too many trade-offs in my current setup to take advantage of the ML's. I'm just smitten by the sound of them, since I have HF hearing loss and less detailed speakers sound lifeless to me, or at least the ones I've auditoned in the past.

My setup is somewhat similar to yours. My listening position is a couch against the back wall and I recently installed a 60" LCD between the speakers. However, when I play the MLs, I pull them out ~4'. I did not notice much of a difference at all with or without the LCD TV. However, I do have rear, front and side wall absorbers and bass traps which make a world of difference. My recommendations would be 1) front wall absorbers and 2) front wall bass traps. Additional treatment will likely also help with the image, smear, bass, etc. YMMV. Enjoy!

Back