Speaker recommendations/suggestions.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davet70

Reaction score
I'm trying to move on from my Bose Acoustimass 15 system and upgrade my surround speakers. In that I'm looking for some suggestions in replacing the Bose cube speakers. Ideally since my current speakers are ceiling mounted on brackets I would like to find some satellite speakers the are fairly close to same size as the cube speakers.
Thanks

I don't have any suggestions for you, but you might consider posting on AVSForums as well as here, and if you include a sense of your approximate budget people may be able to provide useful suggestions.

Assuming this is for surround sound, you'll likely have some people telling you the "bed layer" speakers - the first speakers listed in 5.1.2 or 7.1.4, for example - should all be at / near ear height when you're seated. Personally I think that's most important if you're working on a surround setup including Atmos overhead speakers, so don't be too put off by the comments.

Are the wires for your existing satellite speakers surface-mounted, or are they run through the walls? Could you consider an in-wall speaker to replace the satellites?

This link may help if you're at all curious about current surround sound basics:

https://www.dolby.com/about/support/guide/speaker-setup-guides/#gref

My mains (the 20i's are floor mounted. My center is over the top of the TV at the present, working on moving that to below the TV when i find a new center speaker.
I have posted in the AVS forum and gotten a bunch of good ideas and information.
My wires are in the wall running up to the satellite speakers. How ever moving them or mounting wall speakers would involve alot of drywall opening up and rework which neither I nor the better half is in favor of. Things would be alot simpler if I had straight attic above the room but unfortnuatly I have a bonus room directly above the living room so there is not access without opening up the ceiling or the wall.
The link has a lot of good info. Whish I had had that when we had the house built
Thanks for your response though.

My mains (the 20i's are floor mounted. My center is over the top of the TV at the present, working on moving that to below the TV when i find a new center speaker.
I have posted in the AVS forum and gotten a bunch of good ideas and information.
My wires are in the wall running up to the satellite speakers. How ever moving them or mounting wall speakers would involve alot of drywall opening up and rework which neither I nor the better half is in favor of. Things would be alot simpler if I had straight attic above the room but unfortnuatly I have a bonus room directly above the living room so there is not access without opening up the ceiling or the wall.
The link has a lot of good info. Whish I had had that when we had the house built
Thanks for your response though.
I hired someone to come and install two rear surrounds and 4 atmos in ceiling speakers. Its really not that bad. If you have an unfinished basement under the room then it helps a lot. The ceiling speakers are the hardest to do, the in walls are easy. I had our house built too and had two side surrounds wired before drywall, but that was when dolby 5.1 was the best out. Later on 7.1 came out and I had someone add the two rear surrounds. Then Atmos came out and years later I finally had 4 of those installed. I used Martin Logans for that.

We have bedrooms over the theater area so that made it hard, but the basement helps out running wires.

Back