Sources/Preface/Encore Discontinued?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I am a bit new to this, do you have any suggestions as to what type of equipment I should consider? (again trying to keep the cost down and still get quality sound). Brands, models, etc. I am not looking to rock the house - just get a more pure sound (after they have broken in a bit.) Would something like the Parasound - 2125 125-Watt THX Ultra2 Two-Channel Amplifier work for this application?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Since I am a bit new to this, do you have any suggestions as to what type of equipment I should consider? (again trying to keep the cost down and still get quality sound). Brands, models, etc. I am not looking to rock the house - just get a more pure sound (after they have broken in a bit.) Would something like the Parasound - 2125 125-Watt THX Ultra2 Two-Channel Amplifier work for this application?

Thanks again.

It's what I'm using to drive my Prefaces. I'm very satisfied...

Hello,
I am a huge fan of Parasound amplification and Martin Logan has often used Parasound for Demonstrations at Trade Shows.

The New Classic 2125 should be fine, but I would actually recommend a used HCA Series Parasound. The current flagship Halo line is based off of the HCA Series and they were both designed by John Curl. Another option would be the New Classic 2250 which is twice as powerful as the 2125.

The ESL Martin Logans are harder to drive than the ATF based ML's. The more power and current, the better.
Cheers,
ML

OMNTCH, I too noticed that the preface had a bigger sweet spot than the sources when I auditioned them in the same room with the same gear. Having said that, the sources were more crisp and had better stage presence when seated in the right spot. I was considering both at that time. I bought the preface because I felt that the improvement in sound was not worth a $1000 more for me. However as your gear is upgraded, the sound quality of the sources may blow away the prefaces worth more than a $1000, or it may not. That is something worth asking of which I do not have an answer on. Please do note that I am very new to the audio world unlike most veterans here. I am just sharing with you what I went through when I was at the stage you are in. Right now with the $1000 I saved, I bought 3 encores at $200 each at audio advisor for center and surrounds, plus 100 ft worth of cable at blue jeans at $68 as per recommendations of this site. Now I still have $332 change. I came across 1 review by jeffrey lee at snobreview.com who gave the preface 2 out of 5 and the source 4 out of 5. Despite his review I still went with the preface due to the above mentioned. Plus I am extremely happy with the sound I have both for HT and music. Extremely!!! Check out Jimna's set up on the preface by the way. All in all it boils down to what you think. happy hunting

If you search through the site, this question has been asked and answered many times. Lots of great equipment out there that works well with Logans. But it needs to be high current, with a beefy power supply. Sunfire is a common choice. Parasound is another good brand that makes high quality amplifiers that can handle the loads of electrostatic speakers with ease. Lots of other choices. If your budget is tight, you will find that you can get a better quality amp for less money by buying used off of Audiogon.

omntch - you may want to have a look at the question I posed, under new member introductions. I had a question regarding the benfits adding an amp in conjunction with the Source. I received a lot of good recommendations regarding possible amps. I ended going with a Sunfire TGA 7200, purchased used off of AudiogoN.

I lucked up on a pair also

Hello,

I got a pair of the Preface for $249.00 @ the Best Buy in Annapolis and the Encore Tf for $199.00

Thanks again.
Outlaw audio is having a sale on their 2100 monoblocks. They are a good starter amp and a workhorse, so if you decide to further upgrade they can be moved down the chain in the system.

Latest posts

Back