Sources for high-quality live material?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikarius

Reaction score
My interest level in live material has picked up a great deal in recent years, but it is difficult to locate serious quality live recordings of artists I am interested in, other than the officially released material.

My tastes run from Dire Straits, Lou Reed, Old Genesis, Pink Floyd over to Metal- such as Racer X, Metallica, Tool, and Faith no More, along with greats such as Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, James Brown, Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.

Anyhow, I regularly find clips of performances on youtube which are absolutely jaw-dropping, but both the recording quality and the encoding quality are generally horrendous.

Does anyone know of a community or website which is focused on tracking down superb quality recordings of such material?

I have no aversion to paying for material, but often the officially released material does not capture many of the finer moments....

Cheers
Ikarius

Well I can just give u a recommendation on a live cd. Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds Live at Luther College. Has a very small venue sound The Live at radio city music hall cd sounds good as well. Of course not sure if u r a fan. But these live cds are nice if you like acoustic versions which I do.

If you like Pearl Jam the Official Bootlegs (at least the 2000 ones, specifically 6/29/2000 in Oslo Norway since that's the one I own) have good sound quality. Much better than Live on Two Legs.

Also Pink Floyd's Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980-81 has good sq too.

My interest level in live material has picked up a great deal in recent years, but it is difficult to locate serious quality live recordings of artists I am interested in, other than the officially released material.

My tastes run from Dire Straits, Lou Reed, Old Genesis, Pink Floyd over to Metal- such as Racer X, Metallica, Tool, and Faith no More, along with greats such as Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, James Brown, Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.

Anyhow, I regularly find clips of performances on youtube which are absolutely jaw-dropping, but both the recording quality and the encoding quality are generally horrendous.

Does anyone know of a community or website which is focused on tracking down superb quality recordings of such material?

I have no aversion to paying for material, but often the officially released material does not capture many of the finer moments....

Cheers
Ikarius

You might check here... click "index" and then click on any of entries. The site host assigns an SQ letter-grade for each disc. Maybe you'll find some interesting picks.

ETA: here's one of my personal favorite live recordings - great fun!: Saffire Live

Cheers

Last edited:
the traders den is the place for hi quality roio's

Cheers
Ikarius
You need to talk to Jimna! ...and check out his collection. Go here: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?10729-What-are-your-other-hobbies
and check out his post, #4.

I like www.dimeadozen.org for addtional roio's.

You'll have to register, and maybe wait a little while for a slot to open.

General tracker statistics (last updated on Mon, 12th Dec 2011, at 20:26 GMT):

Registered users: 124,991

New within 24 hrs.: 150

Unconfirmed: 36

Back