Source Speaker grills

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lite

Reaction score
Well, I expected one of the three fuzzy children to attack the lower cloth covered speaker grills on my new ML Sources, but I didn't expect it to happen within 3 hours of purchase... :eek:

Has anyone attempted to or had any luck with stripping off the fabric and re-finishing the units using say, black paint?

I would think that painting the fabric black would negatively impact the sound of the drivers. As in compromise the acoustical "transparency".

When not in use, why don't you cover with some plastic or other material.

GG

I would think that painting the fabric black would negatively impact the sound of the drivers. As in compromise the acoustical "transparency".

When not in use, why don't you cover with some plastic or other material.

GG

i think that he was suggesting to remove the fabric altogether and refinishing the newly exposed wood.

personally i would not want the woofer available to curious fingers and would consider a metal grill instead of the fabric.

i think that he was suggesting to remove the fabric altogether and refinishing the newly exposed wood.

personally i would not want the woofer available to curious fingers and would consider a metal grill instead of the fabric.

Well, we don't have any children or friends with children that visit (currently) so curious fingers aren't such an issue.

What I was thinking of doing was removing the fabric from the plastic grill, and re-finishing the plastic to be clean yet functional without the fear of fingers or cats.

Building a matching metal grill is beyond my ability I'm afraid. Let alone one with perforations in it. :) Too bad ML doesn't make such an option/accessory for their various lines of speakers. I really can't tell you how many speakers I looked at that instantly screamed "Scratching post!" to me... Like, a whole bunch of Deftech models... :rolleyes: Or Maggies or...

Cats can be trained. I suggest you spray them with a squirt from a water bottle anytime they get even close to the speakers.

Cats can be trained. I suggest you spray them with a squirt from a water bottle anytime they get even close to the speakers.

Actually, hissing at them gets their attention better than a squirt bottle. Not to mention, one of our cats loves water and thinks you're just playing with her. She hops in the shower and/or will lay in the sink and meow at you until you turn the water on so she can bathe. :)

I find it's easier to simply work to cat-proof things proactively. Two of our cats are special needs cats health-wise, so stressing them isn't on the list of things we prefer to do.

You'd be surprised at how much better a cat will understand you if you simply hiss at them and speak their own language.

Oh my, one that likes water and thinks you are playing with it when you squirt it. That does make things a little more difficult. Hissing is good. I also find that a loud, grating AAAAAANNNNNhhh sound (ok, I have no clue how to spell the sound to which I am referring) works wonders with most cats. It is like the universal NO! sound.

So if you just remove the covers, do they bother the exposed woofers? Dare you even experiment with that?

Oh my, one that likes water and thinks you are playing with it when you squirt it. That does make things a little more difficult. Hissing is good. I also find that a loud, grating AAAAAANNNNNhhh sound (ok, I have no clue how to spell the sound to which I am referring) works wonders with most cats. It is like the universal NO! sound.

So if you just remove the covers, do they bother the exposed woofers? Dare you even experiment with that?

To make that challenge worse. The one that likes water is partly feral still. (Rescue cat.) They do not tend to bother non-carpety things. They don't even claw furniture. I'm not sure what was so appealing of the speaker grill to the cat that attacked it.

They will attempt to sharpen their claws on carpet (which we're still trying to break, it's a periodic issue...) and on the sissel wrapped posts we have around the house.

For the most part they're very well behaved. Just this one cat loves speaker grills... I'm more interested in fixing the grills out of a sense of me not wanting to trip and put my head through the woofer. I'm clumsy, so the grill is more for my benefit than the cats. :)

You could apply cat repellent, a scent that is almost unnoticeable to a person but works for a cat. Also put something else to scratch easily available. Yes I used to own Maggies and three cats..

You could apply cat repellent, a scent that is almost unnoticeable to a person but works for a cat. Also put something else to scratch easily available. Yes I used to own Maggies and three cats..

The cat repellent works on 2 out of 3 cats. As for things for the cats to scratch, there are 2 scratching pads, and 3 cat trees in the media room. They have LOTS to scratch. :)

Back