Source or Purity or EM-ESL's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve4golf

Reaction score
soon to be new Martin Logan owners - haven't bought stereo gear since B&O system 25 years ago - heard new EM-ESL's at Best Buy - will buy them unless Puritys at $1600 or Sources at $1400 are better buy/better technology than EM-ESL's at $2000 - we will only be spending around $1000 for an AVR to drive our system and live in a tract home with a 20 by 14 living room with cathedral ceilings and lots of glass and wall openings to dining, kitchen, foyer, hallway, etc. - not exactly the best listening environment - anyway, any comments/thoughts will be much appreciated

Steve,

Make sure the amp in your receiver is stable at low impedances. ML's do have that issue.

GG

Honest opinion? The EM-ESL is far superior to is predecessors. Its really is. Take it from someone who has extensive experience with both models. The EM is worth ever penny more.

Just to second the opinion of JordanD, the EM-ESLs are better, particularly at those prices. I had an opportunity to get a pair of Sources for $900, and I was about to jump, but felt I needed to do a little homework first. After researching it, I knew I needed to hear the EM-ESLs. I was able to compare the EM-ESL and the Source back-to-back, and while the Source is a great-sounding speaker, it has a really small sweet spot. THere was a noticeable difference in the sound standing up and sitting down. If I'd never heard the Electromotions, I'd probably have been happy with the Source, but after hearing them, there was really only one clear choice for me.

Couldn't agree more with the two previous posts. I love mine! I am running them on an Onkyo TX-NR1007 with no issues.

The EM-ESL would be the superior choice both for now and in whatever future room you move into. At your budget, you can't do better than to pounce on one of the last available Pioneer Elite SC-35 receivers, recently being replaced by newer models at much higher prices. You can get one new still for about $900 closeout pricing, and it is a seriously excellent A/V receiver, and more than enough high current power to make your speakers live up to their potential.

Back