Sound and Vision ESL review

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcar928fan

Reaction score
I saw this tonight reading the current issue (Feb/March) of Sound and Vision. Towards the back...in fact it might be one of the last non-adverts...is a review on how ESL's work and of course the drawing will be very familiar with all on this forum. It is a generic speaker that looks like the current ML products.

Very good...nothing we don't all already know here, but it might well put a few more folks on this list or at least get them thinking about ML speakers.

would love to see this.. can you scan it?

It's just a simplified rendering of a Summit or Vantage, identifying the various components... electrostatic panel, woofer, crossover, etc. It's not a review by any means, nor even worth reproducing here.

Now, WHY it's there is a good question, because they have not, to date, reviewed either of those models. I think I've seen an ML ad in Sound & Vision, so maybe there is an upcoming review in the works.

It's just a simplified rendering of a Summit or Vantage, identifying the various components... electrostatic panel, woofer, crossover, etc. It's not a review by any means, nor even worth reproducing here.

Now, WHY it's there is a good question, because they have not, to date, reviewed either of those models. I think I've seen an ML ad in Sound & Vision, so maybe there is an upcoming review in the works.

The "sound" component of Sound and Vision is not even worth a grain of salt.

The "sound" component of Sound and Vision is not even worth a grain of salt.

I couldn't agree more. I haven't been a fan even when they were still "Stereo Review". I see them as little more than a more specific version of Consumer Reports, which I also view as a tool catering to the masses rather than any sort of in depth enthisiasts reference. Remeber when Julian Hersh proclaimed that all amplifiers sounded the same?

I couldn't agree more. I haven't been a fan even when they were still "Stereo Review". I see them as little more than a more specific version of Consumer Reports, which I also view as a tool catering to the masses rather than any sort of in depth enthisiasts reference. Remeber when Julian Hersh proclaimed that all amplifiers sounded the same?

Well, of course, it is the main stream that has all the money...hence more folks catering to that audience. If you want SERIOUS sound review, you are going to be reading Stereophile, TAS, Inner Ear, etc. I use S&V mostly for the video review info, but it is interesting to read about some of the more affordable HTIAB set ups out there... These things usually cost less than my Scripts and are 6 boxes (including the sub)...what do you think you are going to get for that kind of money...certainly won't be much to write home about when it comes to stereo listening...

Tom, I don't have anyway to scan it, but I might be able to type the whole thing in...it did not look that long, pretty busy over the next few days though.

Sound and Vision

Who reads Sound and Vision? I don't know and really don't care.
I think that manufacturers should do a better job of advertising in magazines other than Sound and Vision or Stereophile and TAS for that matter.
Only people interested in our hobby buy these types of magazines.
We buy these magazines to stay informed,become educated,and to whet our fantasies for when we hit the lotto.
We are not the big picture and these magazines combined probably don't have the market share of Consumers Digest.
So, the manufacturers of high end gear like ML should start to advertise their wares in some of the more consumer oriented publications.Car magazines would be a nice fit. So would all those home improvement magazines.
I can picture it now,the guy getting out of his Mercedes ,glancing at his Patek,and sitting down to a TV dinner.The caption being-why would you settle for this(tv dinner)if you could afford the car etc.Then show a picture of a cheap ht in a box system and pose the same question and then show a full out ML set up as being more a reflection of his lifestyle.
People with money will spend it if they know what is out there.
The only reason they buy Bose speakers over ML is because Bose is a brand they have read about and seen in lifestyle magazines.Bose did not become a houshold word because of it's quality.
In my view all the high end manufacturers should broaden their horizons.
We die hard audiophiles who have been at it for over 30 years are approaching the end of the line.

In my view all the high end manufacturers should broaden their horizons.
We die hard audiophiles who have been at it for over 30 years are approaching the end of the line.
Speaking of broadening "High End Audio" visibility/marketing... check out this Audiocircle thread (started by Tone Audio), specifically discussing this issue... LOTS of interesting posts there, feel free to chime in!

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=36970.0

Speaking of broadening "High End Audio" visibility/marketing... check out this Audiocircle thread (started by Tone Audio), specifically discussing this issue... LOTS of interesting posts there, feel free to chime in!

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=36970.0

Cool link.

I really liked this quote:

I just asked my fiancé this question and she says,
"Make it accessible and really easy to use and Fu**'n cool (like Apple). And make it something we absolutely have to have. The problem with your audiophile stuff is its just too darn hard to use!"

It seems like pandering honestly to be asking us this question. We don't know. We're not part of that world. We're audiophiles, the more obsessive natured music appreciators of the world.

My wife, in spite of her using Mac’s and PC’s daily, being a Dr. in Veterinary medicine and all around bright gal, can’t figure out how to turn on my HT system.

It’s a reflection of the complexity we can fall prey to. I know I’m at the outer edges of complexity, but even ‘normal’ systems are prey to all kinds of configuration nightmares.

What’s required is an ‘Apple’-like approach to usability, where huge amounts of effort are expended by the industry on behalf of the consumer.

The usability of all components in the chain is critical to making high-quality listening experiences be easy.

All the ‘innovations’ of the recent years, DVD-A, SACD, HD Video, have only added to the complexity. Layer in DRM nightmares onto it (can you say HDCP) and no wonder people buy single brand HTIB’s. They just do not want to deal with the complexity.

Mind you, no one question my system is the best (or one of two) they’ve ever heard, but they also can’t understand half of what it took to get it there. Heck, most are just gawking at the ML’s wondering how these monoliths (pun intended) manage to produce such glorious sound.

As an industry, there is a ways to go.

Cool link.

I really liked this quote:

I just asked my fiancé this question and she says,
"Make it accessible and really easy to use and Fu**'n cool (like Apple). And make it something we absolutely have to have. The problem with your audiophile stuff is its just too darn hard to use!"

It seems like pandering honestly to be asking us this question. We don't know. We're not part of that world. We're audiophiles, the more obsessive natured music appreciators of the world.

My wife, in spite of her using Mac’s and PC’s daily, being a Dr. in Veterinary medicine and all around bright gal, can’t figure out how to turn on my HT system.

It’s a reflection of the complexity we can fall prey to. I know I’m at the outer edges of complexity, but even ‘normal’ systems are prey to all kinds of configuration nightmares.

What’s required is an ‘Apple’-like approach to usability, where huge amounts of effort are expended by the industry on behalf of the consumer.

The usability of all components in the chain is critical to making high-quality listening experiences be easy.

All the ‘innovations’ of the recent years, DVD-A, SACD, HD Video, have only added to the complexity. Layer in DRM nightmares onto it (can you say HDCP) and no wonder people buy single brand HTIB’s. They just do not want to deal with the complexity.

Mind you, no one question my system is the best (or one of two) they’ve ever heard, but they also can’t understand half of what it took to get it there. Heck, most are just gawking at the ML’s wondering how these monoliths (pun intended) manage to produce such glorious sound.

As an industry, there is a ways to go.

Get her a Harmony remote!

Back