Sony SCDXA5400ES

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

repman

Reaction score
SCDXA5400ES

SONY

Sony SCD-XA5400ES CD Player

I just purchased 5400ES Sony not having heard it at all to replace a player that has just recently went to digital heaven.

I know this player went for around $1500 new so I thought at $800 bucks it was a good deal but I may be quite disappointed when I finally get to hear it.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit that can give me a hint to its sound

Thanks

I haven't heard it but supposedly the 5400ES is a great player and gets a lot of praise on the Audiogon forums. If you purchased new for $807 it was a steal! I see new ones selling on Agon all the time for $1000-$1100.

Sony SCD-XA5400ES CD Player
SONY

Price: $806.99

Availability: 50 In Stock

Mfg Part# SCDXA5400ES

I ordered it on the internet at theNerds.net

Last edited:
Repman, did you receive the 5400ES yet? Thoughts on the sound and performance? Are you running it straight or through a DAC?

Churchill, I did receive the Sony and have about 300 hours on it I have a Rega DAC and tried it with and without and prefer it as a stand alone CD player.
I like it both with red book and SACD discs
It has improved in many ways
It has really started to bloom with smooth extended highs.
The bass was a bit bloated in the beginning but has tightened up more than a little after about 100 hours and continues to improve.
It has a wide sound-stage which also has improved with hours on the clock.
I am using a CJ ET-5 preamp and CJ premier 11-A power amp and this cd player has good synergy with tubes.

At $800 bucks it is a steal , I have heard a lot of high end CD players and I while there are some that are better I think you will need to spend a lot more to achieve similar results .

In the September 2011 issue of Stereophile magazine, Kal Rubinson mentions his Sony SCD-XA5400ES CD Player several times in his column.

Last edited:
If you want to take your Sony SCD-XA5400ES up about 9000 notches, send it to Modwright for Dan's full mod. One of the best digital pieces I have ever heard. The full mod runs $1995.00 and worth every bit.

If you want to take your Sony SCD-XA5400ES up about 9000 notches, send it to Modwright for Dan's full mod. One of the best digital pieces I have ever heard. The full mod runs $1995.00 and worth every bit.

Fox I read about that mod and it seems to be a huge improvement I am wondering if adding more tubes to my all tube pre and power amp will be to much , Do you have the Modwright version and can share your experience on the difference over stock.

Larry, congrats on your purchase !

FWIW, Dan (DTB300) is a staunch advocate of Modwright's mods, his modded player on his system is a real treat to ones ears !

Wow! I have to say I am jealous. The Supra has been my favorite car since I drove it as a kid in the first Gran Turismo haha.

Here is a bigger picture

Attachments

• pic004.jpg
    pic004.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 946
Thanks George and Jordan, here is an engine shot and a rear shot of that fat AZZ

Attachments

• supra%20003.jpg
    supra%20003.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 520
  • tail.jpg
    tail.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 444
Its just so.... clean. Well I am guessing you are proud of her, hell I would be too and mine would be that clean.

I am just so green with envy haha. Once I have finished my ML system this is my next big purchase no doubt.

I recently replaced my 5400ES with an Oppo 95. To my ears, the Oppo is a bit more detailed and has a higher output level; however, the Sony is still an excellent unit, especially at that price. Operationally, I also prefer the Oppo, especially the far faster load time and fast forward speed. I plan to keep the Sony, as the future of SACD seems a bit uncertain, and between the two units, I should get many years of use! (I decided to consolidate my equipment a bit, so the Oppo replaces my SACD and Sony Blu Ray player.)

After living with Oppo for a while, I decided to go back to my Sony for SACDs. Upon further experimentation, the Oppo sounds more detailed only through my headphones now that I have more revealing speakers (I had B&W 804's before). Plus, with a lot of SACDs, there is too much direct signal in the rear channels with the Oppo. I assume one wants the special effects as loud as the main sound in a movie, but not the acoustic environment in a classical recording! The Oppo is still a superior DVD/Blu-ray player compared to my old Sony 550 Blu-ray plaer.

Back