Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario, Quad 2805, and more....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regardless, I just got home from a long day at work and I dragged my chair out to the sweetspot and play just 1 tune. And I am SO at a level where I'm so satisfied with the sound that if it werent for my incessant need for something just slightly better, I can just quit the forums and this whole upgraditis habit! As great at that $90,000 Amati based system sounded, my Summit system is close enough that I dont think I'm missing $70,000 worth of audio nirvana.

But that doesnt mean I would want to have a pair of Amatis either...

For now, play on Summits, play on playa. :rocker:

As an aside, unless Naim has become more stable into capacitive loads then they won't work well into Quads. Remember when Naim amps required really low capacitance speaker cable (Naim) or would blow up. They historically haven't dealt well with high capacitances.

Joey, entertaining story as always! We can observe that you keep flirting with cone speakers; what are the current odds on you ending up with them in the near future? (I suspect the Quads won't match your preferences even with better amps.)

Here's my own exceedingly biased take on some good cone speakers I've heard:

* Hyperion - good, "organized" sound, by which I mean that imaging and dynamics are in good relation to each other for each instrument (we usually get one or the other but rarely in unison). I can still hear that tweeter, though, which is distracting for me.

* Sonus Faber - I've listened to most models, except the Strad. Very seductive, especially on music they like (strings, which is no mystery given the speaker names). The Amatis and the small Guarneris are particular standouts. That midbass bump seems especially tailored to lure ML owners away. Yet there's something about their sound that makes me suspect I won't be happy in the long term. Maybe they're not as neutral as I like.

* Living Voice - Oh boy. These can really mess you up. Talk about palpable presence. Hign sensitivity too, so they match well with low-powered tube amps. Somehow they don't quite disappear enough for me.

* Von Schweikert Audio - If someone would say, "You can't have MLs anymore; you'll have these instead" ... I might not be unhappy. Mates the virtues of the speakers above with those of 'stats.

Ok, I'm with you guys on waiting to hear the CLX to keep us home...

Joey, entertaining story as always! We can observe that you keep flirting with cone speakers; what are the current odds on you ending up with them in the near future? (I suspect the Quads won't match your preferences even with better amps.)

Here's my own exceedingly biased take on some good cone speakers I've heard:

* Hyperion - good, "organized" sound, by which I mean that imaging and dynamics are in good relation to each other for each instrument (we usually get one or the other but rarely in unison). I can still hear that tweeter, though, which is distracting for me.

* Sonus Faber - I've listened to most models, except the Strad. Very seductive, especially on music they like (strings, which is no mystery given the speaker names). The Amatis and the small Guarneris are particular standouts. That midbass bump seems especially tailored to lure ML owners away. Yet there's something about their sound that makes me suspect I won't be happy in the long term. Maybe they're not as neutral as I like.

* Living Voice - Oh boy. These can really mess you up. Talk about palpable presence. Hign sensitivity too, so they match well with low-powered tube amps. Somehow they don't quite disappear enough for me.

* Von Schweikert Audio - If someone would say, "You can't have MLs anymore; you'll have these instead" ... I might not be unhappy. Mates the virtues of the speakers above with those of 'stats.

Ok, I'm with you guys on waiting to hear the CLX to keep us home...

1. Never heard Hyperion audio, but seen ads for them.
2. Living Voice, never heard or even seen an ad for them.... will be on the look out for them though!
3. Sonus Faber are a speaker that I will have. I've already had several of the Home series, and I have auditioned the Cremonas and the Amati most recently. I think in the end, I will end up with something like the Strads... dont know why though. If they sound just a bit better than the Amatis, it's game over for me. In a good way... :).
4. VS.... anything VR4jr and below are not for me. BUT, I havent heard the upper end series so it might be something that could work for my tastes and biases.

I really do want to consider other speakers, namely Kharma, Avalon, and JM Labs. Someday.

:D

It's a great adventure aint it?

I got a PM from the dealer....

Hey Joey,
This is John from ProMusica. Thanks for the mention (Amati Review). If it makes you feel any better, I'm not a big fan of the other dynamic speakers that you mentioned either.LOL

As for the Logans, I'm not a hater and my feelings on them have nothing to do with sales or accompanying gear. I know how to voice a system.
I've heard MLs do a credible job. Just not my cup of tea. We were just exchanging views. I wasn't selling. Remember my fondness for the Linn which I do not sell. I agree that Quads aren't perfect either and I feel that way about most bi or dipoles accompanied by boundaries. It doesn't mean that their imperfections aren't less significant or a better compromise (as all speakers are) then another direct radiator. Quad 57s are a good example. More of a cardioid than true dipole it still does things others can't when set up right.(difficult)

As for Naim. I'm a big fan and wouldnt bother having a shop without it but I don't think it's the only way to skin a cat. Whoever said that it's a poor match for MLs is spot on but it has nothing to do with his reasons. The Logans have a combo of parameters that fool the amps protection circuit to limit available voltage. Naim amps are inherently stable to the point that no inductor/resistor bridge is used in the output. This does however limit wire use. Where most amps sound best with no wire on them, Naims sound best with 12 to 36 feet of normal type wire. A non-inductive type wire is inappropriate here as the amp relies on the wires inductance for load. Once that much Naim wire or even zip cord is used, capacitance is not an issue. Imagine that. They actually assume that you may use wire and save you from a geeky and expensive wire quest. The goodness of Naim on Quad esl57s is well known. The amps wont move from room temperature after hours of driving that very capacitive load at it's max for hours. Instability (ringing) would heat it up good.

Rhythm and pace is often quoted as Naims forte'. Those are not attributes associated with amps that have poor current delivery. Electrostatics are voltage devices anyway. Any current requirement comes from additional circuitry or mechanical woofers. Not from driving a transformer connected to the stators. It's unfortunate that Naim doesn't meld with MLs but their not changing a novel and inaudible protection circuit for one speaker and it has nothing to do with current.

Stop by any time. It was fun but don't ask me about SACD, Line conditioners or speaker wires with circuits on the end. I don't need the hate mail.

John

p.s. feel free to post or paraphrase any or all of this.

Last edited:
John's a standup guy... great dude! Everytime I go there, he teaches me something new. I've gone to his store twice and would recommend his store to anyone looking for an honest dealer.

He may be all Naim, but I can't deny that it sounds good! Wish Naim improved the blah look though....

Back