Sonic Frontiers Line 1?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audiophiliac

Reaction score
update: It IS a Special Edition model.

I walk by a used one sitting on our consignment/bargain bin shelf every day...and have been for months and months and months now, and I love the thing. I havent ever listened to it, but its solid, and has the best remote control ever. I think I could probably get it for a song. I am considering picking it up.

Anyone have any opinions on this preamp? Im going to start reading old reviews. :)

It has 6 single ended inputs, 2 balanced inputs, 2 balanced outs, 2 single ended outs, a processor loop, and did I mention the nifty remote? And it has glowing tubes....always cool.

Last edited:
Do a search on Stereophile on line. I know I read a review in hardcopy a few years ago. But.... you know about their reviews. Anyone ever read a bad review?

Sorry, I am NOT hijacking this thread. Check out the web site for the review.

My first tubed pre-amp was a Sonic Frontiers SFL-1, the predessor of the Line 1. I remember putting it on lay away at Listen Up, one of the high end stores in Boulder and dilligently paying for 3 months so that I could bring it home. Once I got it and put it in the system there was no turning back - I am convinced that a tubed pre-amp at the very least is the path to sonic nirvana. While my Balanced Audio Technology VK31-SE is a much better pre-amp, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for that SFL-1. It never gave me one ounce of trouble and sounded so sweet. If you can get the Line 1 for a good price I recommend you do it. I don't know what it would be replacing in your system, but if you're moving from SS to tubes, this would be a VERY nice place to start.

Audiophiliac, I have not heard the Line-1. I still own a SFL-2 preamp which sits unused in my bedroom and I currently use a SFD 2 Mk3 as my main DAC squeeze. I also owned the SFP 1 SE phono stage for many years before they went out of business and I went the Audio Research route. Sonic Frontiers gear sounds great, mates well with other equipment and can still be serviced thru the parts connexion group in Canada, which is the new company founded by Sf's original designers when SF was acquired by Anthem. In my opinion SF gear has always been big bang for the buck. Give the pre a listen-I think you will be delighted!

I have been to that Listen Up in Boulder. :)

The Line 1 SE we have at the store is in beautiful condition. I can pick it up for less than $1000 for sure, hopefully quite less.

It wouldnt really be replacing anything....more of an addition....I just bought an Onix/Melody SP3 tube integrated from one of our great members here. I couldnt pass up the deal. For now that might stay in the PC system while I build the 2 ch. rig. I need to order speakers first. :)

But I was thinking of trying the new Rotel RB1072 class D 2x100. The price is right, and the 7 channel sounds fantastic....so I can only imagine the 2 ch. sounds equal or better. And with the tube pre, it should round out the class D sound and make a perfect match......at least thats the hope. :)

But I was thinking of trying the new Rotel RB1072 class D 2x100. The price is right, and the 7 channel sounds fantastic....so I can only imagine the 2 ch. sounds equal or better. And with the tube pre, it should round out the class D sound and make a perfect match......at least thats the hope. :)

I would LOVE to see a comparison of a Rotel amp w/ a tube Pre... If the match works the price would certainly be right as you can hardly beat the Price of Rotel gear in the upscale Hi-Fi market. Or maybe I should call it the Mid-Fi market as the stuff is so affordable.

BTW, the Rotel RB1080 is doing a GREAT job powering the MBL's, but they are working the amp pretty hard...it gets nice and warm. On a nice note, I was supposed to get a dealer demo for $800 but the computer inventory was wrong and the demo was not there, ONLY a new one... soooo, I got the new one for $800! NICE!!! Enjoying the little Rotel RC-1070 2 channel too. It was a mere $450 brand new and does a fine job mixed w/ the 1080 and the MBL's! Of course I am about half deaf right now, so that may be playing a role. Dr. Joey says I should be well in a few weeks so fingers crossed that by the end of next week I might be back on track to REALLY enjoying music and movie sound tracks again!

I have been using SF LINE 1 for 10 years. I was quite happy with the pre-amp. I upgraded to NOS Brymer and Siemens tubes - lots of improvement compared to the stock tubes. After I upgraded FROM SL3 to Summit, I also upgraded my preamp to Cary SLP-05 and what a difference!!

Latest posts

Back