Something Disturbing on HGTV

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
Only saw the "After" part, but on the HGTV channel there was a before/after show where they redecorated the living room and they stated something like "Now the speakers are no longer the center of the living room and you can still enjoy your music." I thought to myself "Hmmm, wonder what speakers this guy has...Kewl, Martins :) They looked like the SL3's...

I'm sure they were sticking out from the wall the way it should be, but, the disturbing news... now they are pushed right into the corners and toed in waaaaay too much :( His wife looks happy. Poor guy...

I've been away from this forum for about a year or two so I don't know if anyones posted about this yet. Anyone else see the episode? Room eneded up with black walls, gold furniture and a nice black piano.

NOT SO Divine Design

If it's the one with tha Asian couple, I saw that one. I think your right they were SL3s. The only reason I watched it with the wife was at the opening I saw the ML's. They actually got rid of the SL3s and replaced them with as the host said "High Qaulity Hi-Fi speakers". These things looked like they were probably computor speakers they were soooo small.
Poor Guy:sad:

Heres a quote from the show:
To help enjoy all of the great music that will take place here, I also got rid of Warren's gigantic speakers and replaced them with smaller ones that I put into a bookcase. I then worked all of the stereo components into a mirrored storage cabinet with a wireless control system.

Shows called Divine Design here are the next 2 air dates incase anyones interested and a link to their site about this particular show, sorry no pics. But I'm telling you these speakers she replaced the ML's with we're no more than 5 inches tall. Hopeully he got his own room and got to keep the ML's
• November 04, 2007 1:30 AM ET/PT
• January 20, 2008 4:00 PM ET/PT
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_design_living_area/article/0,1793,HGTV_3376_5275441,00.html

Hey Peter, wecome back.

Man, that kind of 'improvement' makes me go nuts. It just kills me that they think these small speakers can do anything but distort.

If I had to give up ML's, I'd still have six foot tall speakers. Line Arrays are so compelling, that by contrast, point sources, especially small ones, just suck.

This is like replacing a Steinway Grand piano with a Casio keyboard with 5” speakers so it ‘fits’ the décor better. Sure won’t sound the same :mad:

I'd like to see a decorating show where they actually decorate around a fine audio system with the audio system as the focal point and proudly displayed. Show us how to decorate a room like that and with functionality instead of making the room just something to look at. I want my room to be something that I am comfortable spending time in and enjoy using rather than it being a department store window. I consider many fine audio components and speakers beautiful to look at. Audio bling is a good thing.

Last edited:
Back