Someone has bit on my Vantages....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Summit

I love my Summits. They will soon be joined by a pair of Vantages in my HT. Both models sound wonderful, but if you have the choice, always go for Summits. Better bass, mids and highs, but the differences are not extreme. Everyone can be perfectly happy with Vantages.

JP

JPL said:
I love my Summits. They will soon be joined by a pair of Vantages in my HT. Both models sound wonderful, but if you have the choice, always go for Summits. Better bass, mids and highs, but the differences are not extreme. Everyone can be perfectly happy with Vantages.

JP
Always go with the Sumitt's ?? If your resources are limitless yes, but if you can only afford to match the summitt's up with mediocre upstream components then you would be wise to pair up the Vantages with better source components and the mids and highs will shine !!

twich54 said:
Always go with the Sumitt's ?? If your resources are limitless yes, but if you can only afford to match the summitt's up with mediocre upstream components then you would be wise to pair up the Vantages with better source components and the mids and highs will shine !!
Well said, Dave.

I also think fitting the speaker to the room is important. Three(?) 10" woofers in the Summitts in a small room would be difficult to manage. Bass issues are sort of a problem in my room with my Vantages, I can't imagine the issues I'd have w/ the Summits. My new rig is screaming for room treatments... I think with the Aerius I was able to get away without any. Not the Vantages, even though they seem to be the same size, the Vantages really pressurize the room in a different way, and in a much greater way, which is great, but my image is definitely off, I hear it everytime I listen, and I know with treatment it'll really clean up things. Anyway, the Summits aren't huge, but my guess is that they have a BIG sound, and would not do well in a small room... just MHO...

Or.. if you got a killer deal on Summits, it's probably not best to miss it.

I agree, I was in the same predicament - Vantages with better components or Summits? I decided to go Summits because I am moving to studio where my living room is going to be purely for 2channel... and by that time, I should have cash for component upgrades. Besides, it's always nice to get that low end grunt I've been wanting.

I think this is a bad decision personally and sonically.

The price difference alone would have allowed you to buy a better source, better pre-amp, and better amp.

That alone would have made the Vantages sound BETTER than the Rotel/Summit package you're going to be using.

Summits are awesome speakers (I have a pair of my own), but with great power comes great responsibility. You're responsible to feed those Summits pure clean power and signal. You can't do that with your present gear.

Just to give you an idea of how I feed my Summits:

Theta Digital Carmen DVD player.
Theta Digital Casablanca III w/extreme DACs.
VTL S-400 Stereo Amp (I have a Theta Dreadnaught II for my surrounds).

Thats $26,000 worth of a source chain for my $10,000 pair of speakers.

Its an amazing setup. I personally haven't ever heard better that didn't cost three to four times more. However thats for stereo listening. I've never heard better for movies, and doubt I ever will.

You don't have to go as extreme as I did. You do however need to do a better job with your source. A dedicated DVD/CD/LP player for your system will do it amazing justice. I think Arcam has a $1k DVD player that would shine with your Rotels and get a lot more out of your Summits. However I'm positive someone has a great player around that range as well. I'd look into improving your source with those Summits.

Because right now you won't be getting a whole lot out of an amazing speaker.

tsd2005 said:
I think this is a bad decision personally and sonically.

The price difference alone would have allowed you to buy a better source, better pre-amp, and better amp.

That alone would have made the Vantages sound BETTER than the Rotel/Summit package you're going to be using.

Summits are awesome speakers (I have a pair of my own), but with great power comes great responsibility. You're responsible to feed those Summits pure clean power and signal. You can't do that with your present gear.

Just to give you an idea of how I feed my Summits:

Theta Digital Carmen DVD player.
Theta Digital Casablanca III w/extreme DACs.
VTL S-400 Stereo Amp (I have a Theta Dreadnaught II for my surrounds).

Thats $26,000 worth of a source chain for my $10,000 pair of speakers.

Its an amazing setup. I personally haven't ever heard better that didn't cost three to four times more. However thats for stereo listening. I've never heard better for movies, and doubt I ever will.

You don't have to go as extreme as I did. You do however need to do a better job with your source. A dedicated DVD/CD/LP player for your system will do it amazing justice. I think Arcam has a $1k DVD player that would shine with your Rotels and get a lot more out of your Summits. However I'm positive someone has a great player around that range as well. I'd look into improving your source with those Summits.

Because right now you won't be getting a whole lot out of an amazing speaker.

Thats the beauty of it... I'll be getting a portion of it's FULL capability. I know I can do better - and this is what keeps the chase alive.

Listen, all I really wanted was a better bottom end - without having to try and integrate a subwoofer into it.. I wanted a complete sonic coherence between the ~20hz notes and the rest of the panel. After hearing the Summits for an extended period of time, I realized that this was the FULL RANGE speaker I've been wanting. The Vantages + a DD18/15 would've been my alternative - and to tell you the truth, I wouldve spent more even if I got a DD15 used... and that's the truth. Now you understand the deal I got. ;)

Now... take into account the fact that I got a better lower end, add to that the better panel.... even if I'm not using it to it's fullest potential, the potential is there. In 2 years, I'll be able to swing the bigger guns to do this Summit right. I will say this, I'm sure my system sounds a whole notch better with the Summits than it did with the Vantages alone. If you take the Vantage + a DD15, sure the gap narrows, but for the same price - why not get myself a Summit pair that I can actually climb the audio food chain with?

This is for the long haul - I intend to keep the Summits until ML releases another top speaker (sub-Statements of course)... and by that time, God willing, I'll have my real job, then I'll make my lateral upgrade to that.

And keep on chugging...

;)

Joey- I admire that you continue to want to improve.

Just do yourself a massive favor and get a new source first. Even if its a $400 NAD player, you will see a BIG improvement.

tsd2005 said:
Joey- I admire that you continue to want to improve.

Just do yourself a massive favor and get a new source first. Even if its a $400 NAD player, you will see a BIG improvement.

Will do!

Looking at the Rotel 1072.

Joey_V said:
Will do!

Looking at the Rotel 1072.
Joey, TSD makes some good points and your rebuttal is just as good ! But buy all means get the Rotel 1072 before the NAD !!! There are several of us on this site that believe the 1072 to be one of the BEST bargin players out there, you could spend twice as much and not do better !

twich54 said:
Joey, TSD makes some good points and your rebuttal is just as good ! But buy all means get the Rotel 1072 before the NAD !!! There are several of us on this site that believe the 1072 to be one of the BEST bargin players out there, you could spend twice as much and not do better !

I'm not as familiar with the 1072 as the $400 NAD, but at this point any upgrade on a source would be significant for sound.

tsd2005 said:
I'm not as familiar with the 1072 as the $400 NAD, but at this point any upgrade on a source would be significant for sound.

The 1072 is about $500... should be a considerable upgrade for me.

Zip3kx07 said:
Joey,

Are you looking to keep your system 2ch or go home theater?

Joe,

No HT plans at all... purely 2channel.

HT will be in the future - and I'm planning on the Klipsch THX2 set for that one...

Joey_V said:
Joe,

No HT plans at all... purely 2channel.

HT will be in the future - and I'm planning on the Klipsch THX2 set for that one...

Very cool.

I just had to ask; I was wondering how your system was going to evolve now that you have the Summits.

Joey_V said:
The 1072 is about $500... should be a considerable upgrade for me.
Joey, Good price on the 1072, assuming it is less than a year old. By the way, as you begin your journey upward with your Summitt's my ARC SP-16L pre-amp just might be for sale if I bite on the new LS-26 next month ! just thought I would dangle another carrot in front of you !!!

twich54 said:
Joey, Good price on the 1072, assuming it is less than a year old. By the way, as you begin your journey upward with your Summitt's my ARC SP-16L pre-amp just might be for sale if I bite on the new LS-26 next month ! just thought I would dangle another carrot in front of you !!!

Dave,

You and your hand-me-downs... you're gonna send me to the poor house PERMANENTLY!!

:eek:

Joey_V said:
Dave,

You and your hand-me-downs... you're gonna send me to the poor house PERMANENTLY!!

:eek:
Be carefull ..... you just bought a Pair of "hand-me-downs" !!

Congradulations on your Summit Choice...

Joey,

It is truly wonderful that you will be purchasing Summits. You are persistant, passionate and committed about audio Joey, so I know you are going to be a great, all-be-malnurished (Top-Ramen) MD one of these days. ;)

Is their any hope to have your new Summits custom made in BEM? Never mind its too expensive... I just think its great you will be owning Summits, after all its the sound that matters most, as I'm sure you would agree. :)

My new Gateway DX210S Desk top computer is due in this Friday (3/24). At least I'll be able to communicate with you guys more. :eek:

Let us know what kinda deal you get on your Summits Joey? Best of Luck!!!

Latest posts

Back