Some Aeon i Adjustments...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audioseduction

Reaction score
My pair of Aeon i’s I felt the highs were a little edgy at times while listing to Jazz at mid to high levels. I disabled the NAC and what a difference it made. Highs are much smoother now and the mids seem to perform even better. I’m very pleased with the outcome!

I notice if you put your ear up to the NAC which is a soft dome tweeter its sound quality is no where near as nice as the stats. I imagine it’s because its just a conventional driver.

The Aeon i's are about 3' from the rear wall. I sit about 8' away from them.

Last edited:
My pair of Aeon i’s I felt the highs were a little edgy at times while listing to Jazz at mid to high levels. I disabled the NAC and what a difference it made. Highs are much smoother now and the mids seem to perform even better. I’m very please with the outcome!

I notice if you put your ear up to the NAC which is a soft dome tweeter its sound quality is no where near as nice as the stats. I imagine it’s because its just a conventional driver.

NAC should only be used for non-critical listening... the purpose is to diffuse the sound better seeing as ESL do not have good horizontal dispersion. NAC is good for parties or just walking about the house but still wanting to have good sound.

My pair of Aeon i’s I felt the highs were a little edgy at times while listing to Jazz at mid to high levels. I disabled the NAC and what a difference it made. Highs are much smoother now and the mids seem to perform even better. I’m very pleased with the outcome!

Hola Rampage60, your problem could be overdriven your Rotel amplifier. I know it is a beast and well crafted, but I have seeing many good power amps to callaps at high level with ML. Just remember that it is very difficult to break the stat panels...usually what cause distortion is clipping your amp...due the the difficult load that ML represents to any power amp...it is very easy to do it...just bring the level a bit down and listen carefully if the bad sound goes away...if this is your case...just use less level...happy listening,
Roberto.

Hola Rampage60, your problem could be overdriven your Rotel amplifier. I know it is a beast and well crafted, but I have seeing many good power amps to callaps at high level with ML. Just remember that it is very difficult to break the stat panels...usually what cause distortion is clipping your amp...due the the difficult load that ML represents to any power amp...it is very easy to do it...just bring the level a bit down and listen carefully if the bad sound goes away...if this is your case...just use less level...happy listening,
Roberto.

At nominal level with my ear next to both the soft dome tweeter and the stat the dome does not sound like the stat at all. Sounds like a plain old dome tweeter. I guess thats why they provide the option to turn it off. With it off the stats sound PERFECT! Stat Good - Dome Tweeter Bad. :rocker:

Last edited:
At nominal level with my eay next to both the soft dome tweeter and the stat the dome does not sound like the stat at all. Sounds like a plain old dome tweeter. I guess thats why they provide the option to turn it off. With it off the stats sound PERFECT! :rocker:

Rampage60,

My Rotel gear is quite bright too. When I switched from the Pioneer Elite to Rotel stuff I was shocked by how bright it was. There were a few scenes in a movie that actually made me wince because the high's were so sharp. I was playing it quite loud and it just is what the sound effect was, but it caught me by surprise. My room is all tile too so the room is overly bright also...

Best to you!

George,
I think Roberto is right. I did have the same amp and the Rotel is a bit bright. I do not think you are really pushing that amp with the Aeon i. I would turn off the (NAC) tweeter for a time and do some critical listening. Also, it may be your preamp, but I doubt it. All things considered it is in the "chain" so anything is possible.

Room reaction is another possibility. Is this the first time you have heard it? Have you changed anything? Also, and not to start another debate, cables can also help or hinder your situation. Some blend better with different types of equipment. I have not heard your NAD so I can not comment on its characteristics but this too may be a consideration.

Anyway these are just ideas and my old guy opinion

Jeff:cool:

With my hardwood floors and the NAC enabled just makes the highs too bright and a little artificially enhanced. With them disable the highs are slightly more laid back and sound natural as will as more soothing to the ears. I think my room is just a little on the bright side. I'm no where near clipping volume. It's just sounds so sweet when I'm just using the stats alone. Another words I don't need any enhancements for the highs the way my equipment's synergy and room is set up. I imagine if I had carpeted floors and heavy curtains which I have niether it would be a different story. All I can say it sounds perfect now! I tell you, I'm a world away from here in some wonderful place when I'm listening to my sound system. Thanks to Martin Logan!

hifi-062006a.jpg

I do like the look of your set up! Simple and beautiful! Yea, you are not even close to pushing that Rotel hard! Looks like the same 1090 that I have...those things have power to spare! I do prefer a little warmth in my music though and you don't get that so much w/ Rotel gear it seems. You have the same problem as me...hard floors!

Keep us posted on the tweeks.

Latest posts

Back