So, do I get ML EM-ESLs or Magnapan 1.7s?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's only when we start comparing with MBL that things tend to "descend" ;) Joking of course.

Todd,

I have tried to stay very low key regarding my 116's. The only time I made a statement, I made sure to qualify "in my room and with my gear".

I really wish I had a bigger room when I had the Summits. I've always felt that I never heard their true potential. The 116's seem to more uniformly energize my smallish room. That's the main difference.

Gordon

It's only when we start comparing with MBL that things tend to "descend" ;) Joking of course.

Todd,

I have tried to stay very low key regarding my 116's. The only time I made a statement, I made sure to qualify "in my room and with my gear".

I really wish I had a bigger room when I had the Summits. I've always felt that I never heard their true potential. The 116's seem to more uniformly energize my smallish room. That's the main difference.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I for one would like to hear more about your MBLs... It's comparisons between speakers (with civility intact) that make for a pleasant exchanges where folks have a chance to learn from each other.

As for this thread and the OP's initial query - I've owned a few diff Maggie models (Tympany ID, 3.6R, 12MG) and there's a reason why those are all in the past and I now own CLX. I favor MLs sound (for music and movies).

Cheers

Gordon, what's the size of your room? I quickly scanned your system thread, but it was not there. Perhaps you should post the reply there ?

Todd,

I know exactly what you mean Gordon, I owned speakers in the past that just didn't make it with the room I had at the time. They were the Cosmostats wish I had them here now. There is a pic of them on my profile 25w x 25d x5ft. High & needed air space too...

Gordon

Beek, just as a friendly pointer... your posts that include quoted commentary from previous posts... it's best of you add your commentary after the final "[/QUOTE]"... that way it will clearly delineate between the quoted post and your new additional commentary.

Or, the easter-egg method is fine too if that's what you're going for.

Cheers.

Hi Todd and Bernard,

First off, I hope the OP doesn't mind a minor detour from the intent of this thread although I think it is consistent with the basic theme of the thread.

Bernard, listening "space" is 14' deep by 19' wide. Speakers are placed 5.5' from each side wall and 5' from the back wall, which principally consists of glass windows. Distance from speakers to listening chairs is about 9'. Back wall (windows) contains numerous plants and a combination of ATS and GIK panels. Diffusion and absorption. For all practical purposes, it is a "near field" listening environment and consistent with MBL recommendations, meaning speaker placement on the "long" wall.

Regarding sonic differences (Summits vs the MBL 116's), please bare in mind that the following comments apply to my room and my equipment. YMMV. Also, please remember that I was and still am a big fan of the ML line. Outstanding value for the money, which is something I can't say about MBL unless you buy used. I've owned four models (CLS2A's, Aerius, SL3's, and the legacy Summits) over 25 years. I've always been intrigued by the MBL technology (omni dispersion for the 116 down to 3K hertz) and came upon a situation that I could not pass up. My sincere thanks to Bill Parrish / GTT Audio for making the switch from ML to MBL affordable.

The 116's are the second speaker up from the bottom but are effectively full range (IMO) with response down to the lower 30's. There are 4 drivers mounted on each speaker (2 per side) , which handle the below 3K output.

After 8 months of listening (changing speaker position and rearranging panels), here's my take on the differences.

As I said previously, the 116's load my room in a more uniform manner. The top end is more polite. The mid bass / low bass fuller. End result is a more liquid, relaxed presentation without giving up the "detail" that we all desire.

Given the omni nature of the speaker, one is effectively released from the "sweet spot" issue. For me, this is important given the fact that I prefer to listen in my recliner that is located to the right of the right speaker. I'm not a big fan of the "you have to sit here to hear the speaker at optimum" comment often heard about speakers.

The Summits (again in my room) did tend to "beam". The 116's do not have this shortcoming. Although I admire Roger Sanders, I would never buy his speaker given the fact that they are literally a "head in a vice" transducer.

Like the ML's, the MBL's are placement / equipment sensitive. And like the ML's, they do like "horsepower" to reach their performance potential.

Similarities between the two include dimensionality, speed, and the ability to bring the listener closer to the music.

As an aside, I was never a believer in room treatments until I purchased the "magic dots". Just kidding Bernard. I will say that room treatments have a profound impact on the listening experience and once you have your system dialed in, minor speaker adjustments (1/4" forward in my most recent tweek)) are quite audible.

Perhaps others can provide their insights on other speakers that share, but are somewhat different than ML, that have allowed them to better connect with the music which, I trust, is why we all do what we do.

Gordon

PS: My listening tastes are principally classical and jazz. Having said that, the MBL's do rock and other genres quite well. Within the context of my preferred music, the MBL's do dimensionality and "space" better than any transducer that I've heard in my life time.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Gordon. Glad to hear you're truly enjoying the MBLs! Would love to see some pics if/when you can manage.

Todd,

Gordon

If I knew you better G I would have loved to stop by your place and listen to them MBL's when I stayed in jackson hole on july .... nice place

I REALLY didn't like the sound of the 1.7's. They were harsh, flat, and had almost no low end compared to the Vantages (granted, the Vantage is much more money
I have both speakers: Magnepan 1.7 and ML Vantage. I disagree that the Magnepan 1.7 speakers are harsh and flat. Not my experience at all. The 1.7 has less bass but I use a JL audio f110 and now you have a pretty nice combo with great bass at approximately the same price as a pair of ML Vantages. JMHO

Maybe its your tube Pre.
Many mag users pad their tweeters some even rip out the x/o & use DSP
Its all a personal taste thing we really cant answer for the OP.

In my experience, the problem is usually the room. Solution: Room treatments, speaker positioning, bass traps etc. JMHO

Maybe its your tube Pre.
Many mag users pad their tweeters some even rip out the x/o & use DSP
Its all a personal taste thing we really cant answer for the OP.

McIntosh SS amplifier house sound =smooth + add Mac tube preamp= smoother. Intentional system matching to achieve system synergy. This is my personal preference in sound but others prefer leaner presentation. No one setup is correct, only what your ears prefer. IMHO

If I knew you better G I would have loved to stop by your place and listen to them MBL's when I stayed in jackson hole on july .... nice place

Hi PML,

Sorry that you did not contact me. Really enjoy meeting music lovers and MLC members.

If you are here again, let's try to get together.

Hope you enjoyed your visit to the valley.

GG

I'm the process of redoing my HT setup, and my speakers are first on the list. I'm sticking with a 2.1 setup (have a SVS PC-12 sub that I'll be hanging onto for this.) The only question I have is whether I should go with Martin Logan's EM-ESL speakers, or the Magnaplanar 1.7s. I'm looking for something that'll sound as natural as possible with music, but I also don't want something too anemic for when I'm playing games and watching movies. This is going to be in a small-ish room, but there's enough space that I can place the speakers away from the walls.

So, what should I go with? Or at the very least, what are the pros and cons of each option?

I went through the same choice (kind of) with either the Theos or the MG3.7. Both were the same price or within a couple of hundred dollars. I liked both but in different ways. The maggies were 'bigger' sounding and the Theos were more 'natural' if you want a simplistic opinion vis a vis sound and tonal quality.

I got a deal on the Theos which I couldn't walk away from. The Theos choose themselves. Now that I have them at home, I know the maggies would have been much harder to tune to my room. When I unpacked the Theos, I just slotted them into the spot where my Summits were, and 'presto' great panel sound.

If you can't decide between ESLs and 1.7s, how about leaving it to the almighty dollar to decide for you and see who gives you the best deal. Either way, you can't lose... :band:

Latest posts

Back