Small room and I want to try SL3 or CLS IIz

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fin1bxn

Reaction score
Hello,
New to the forum, but long time audio guy. Currently I have Revel F52's powered by Pass X250 and a hot rod VPI Super Scout master in a well treated 11' x 18' room. The speakers are on the short wall and I have a opening behind my seating position. I can bring the speakers out 55 to 60" and maybe 12" from side wall for CLS and 18" for SL3

Can I get SL3 or CLS IIz to work in this room. Both prs are available locally and I would like to try ML if they can work in a well treated small room

Thanks
Bob

GO CLS and bring them out 50 inches and start at 12 inches away from side wall and use minimal toe and get them on stands. Much better design and sound than the SL3. The CLS as to many doubts can work in a narrow room if you have a a lot of back room. You have the amp to bully them around which they need and like !

CAP is correct go with the CLS's. Your room and equipment should be fine.
I have both CLS's and SL3's. When I rebuilt my CLS frames I brought the SL3's back into the mix. After the first CD I didn't listen to any music until the CLS's were finished and back in place.
I knew there would be a difference but not that much.
No offence meant to any SL3 owners out there. The CLS's are just a different animal.

Thanks for the responses

I will go take a look and listen to the CLS IIz, they are the pr on Agon with Arcici stands

i had my CLS in a 12 x 18 for years, very happy with them in there. before that in an 11 x 16 room with sloping front and back ceiling. bit small, but still pretty good.

tried them in an 11x13 for a year when that was all i had. horrid as they were killed by reflections.

I've noticed the difference between the CLS and the Vantage is a difference in rear wave propagation. Smaller panel = Smaller radius/arc = smaller backwave practically canceling itself in comparison to the larger panel. The SL3 may be a better choice for a small room, but the proof is in the pudding really.

Does the SL3 have a rear port or woofer?

Back