Sledding for "Ta-Ta's" !!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Just got back from a good sled weekend up in Old Forge, NY. I participated as a trail guide in the 8th annual Pink Ribbon Riders charity run.

http://www.pinkribbonriders.com/

We had a couple of hundred sled participate with lunch and nice banquet afterwards, money raised for a good cause and as we said throughout the day.........."big or small, we love them all" !!!

Attachments

• 2012-01-22 11.50.36.jpg
    2012-01-22 11.50.36.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 2012-01-22 11.16.31.jpg
    2012-01-22 11.16.31.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 2012-02-11 08.19.43.jpg
    2012-02-11 08.19.43.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 130
$50,000 =

$5,500 for Komen's administration and overhead; $5,000 going toward raising more money; $20,000 going toward "public health education"; and a mere $9,000 going towards screening and treatment services; and $10,500 going towards actual research toward finding a cure. So much for "for the cure."

Glad you had a good time, but I am just not sure the cause is that great. I feel like Komen is much more centered on raising their own PR than they are on fulfilling their supposed mission. They give everybody a "feelgood" while actually doing very little to fulfill their own goals. When your mission statement is "for the cure" and you only spend 20% of your donations on scientific research to find a cure, then I don't think you are serious about your mission statement. I think they are much more serious about establishing and maintaining their own brand. People who truly care about fighting breast cancer would do better to donate directly to Universities and Hospitals that are actually engaged in Cancer research.

Rich, for the record, the Pink Ribbon Riders is NOT the Susan B Komen foundation, rather a seperate organization whereby funds raised help 'support' those suffering through treatment and rehab. Granted they have to pay an amount to Komen for the use of the 'pink ribbon' I believe (more scumbag lawyer involvement !), overall I believe their 'cause' donation is somewhere in the 82 percentile....give or take.

I agree on what you said regarding Komen, PR, etc and more direct ways to trully donate to the various causes.

Thanks for the clarification, Dave. I looked them up and PRR looks like a class organization. They donate money directly to cancer patients in need, among other things. Definitely a good cause.

Latest posts

Back