SL3 foam problem

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbanger

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just noticed that the foam strip that seals the electrostatic panel to the trim rails on one of my SL3s seems to have come loose in one spot and is hanging down in front of the woofer on one speaker. I've never done any surgery on an SL3 before so I'm not sure how easy it is to repair this. I assume I need to remove the trim rail(s) and slide the panel out of the way in order to do this? Can anyone give me any advice on the procedure for this? Do I need to be careful not to damage the electrical connection to the panel? Sorry for the ignorant questions, but I'm relatively new to MLs.

Hi guys,

I just noticed that the foam strip that seals the electrostatic panel to the trim rails on one of my SL3s seems to have come loose in one spot and is hanging down in front of the woofer on one speaker. I've never done any surgery on an SL3 before so I'm not sure how easy it is to repair this. I assume I need to remove the trim rail(s) and slide the panel out of the way in order to do this? Can anyone give me any advice on the procedure for this? Do I need to be careful not to damage the electrical connection to the panel? Sorry for the ignorant questions, but I'm relatively new to MLs.

Hola. It is a easy prucedure. Lay down your SL-3 on their back, but first with the aid of a cushion or a pillow, put the speakers connectors just above the pillow and rest it. With the aid of a rubber hammer, hit at the top of the rails until they became (about two inches) loose. Once you have the rails off, you can take off the woofers grill. It is usually glued to the stat panels, and with a little of patience, you can remove it. Then now you can address again the striips of foam...you can aply glue to secure it to the speakers cabinet. Once you have done it, put everything back again, taking care that when you are putting the rails back, with the hekp of other person for holding the rails against the speakers cabinet, making sure all three hinges are right for each rail. (Please forgive my spelling)...now you are back to enjoy your SL-3s...happy listening,
Roberto.:musicnote:

Hola. It is a easy prucedure. Lay down your SL-3 on their back, but first with the aid of a cushion or a pillow, put the speakers connectors just above the pillow and rest it. With the aid of a rubber hammer, hit at the top of the rails until they became (about two inches) loose. Once you have the rails off, you can take off the woofers grill. It is usually glued to the stat panels, and with a little of patience, you can remove it. Then now you can address again the striips of foam...you can aply glue to secure it to the speakers cabinet. Once you have done it, put everything back again, taking care that when you are putting the rails back, with the hekp of other person for holding the rails against the speakers cabinet, making sure all three hinges are right for each rail. (Please forgive my spelling)...now you are back to enjoy your SL-3s...happy listening,
Roberto.:musicnote:

Thanks Roberto! I actually just discovered the 'panel shower' thread that describes a similar procedure for removing the trim and the woofer grille, but it's nice to have the procedure validated. :bowdown:

One other question: I read in another thread that some SL3s require tapping the rails from the top and some from the bottom in order to remove them. Is there an easy way to tell which way my rails need to be tapped - other than tapping them in the wrong direction first? :p

One other question: I read in another thread that some SL3s require tapping the rails from the top and some from the bottom in order to remove them. Is there an easy way to tell which way my rails need to be tapped - other than tapping them in the wrong direction first? :p

Yes, there are at the bottom of the speaker cabinet, just below where the rails are, there are two metal pieces that secures and prevents that the rails fall out. If you have these metal pieces, first is remove them with a philips screw driver with No. 2 tip. This also tells you if you have to hit at the bottom or at the top of the rails. It is good to know that you did find some more hints...
Use a rubber glue...the one that you have to put it at both sides and have to wait several minutes before you start to stick the rubber foam to the cabinet.
happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Back