Sit back, this is what it's all about!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Upgrading and researching, auditioning and debating.... sometimes we get so caught up in the whirlwind of gears and shiny objects (I know I do) that sometimes we just have to sit back and rest our laurels a bit.

Just got home from work and as I was about to head out for Valentines Day dinner and date, I popped in my chair and listened to some music. An hour and a half later, I find myself late and running behind (and posting this thread isnt helping my timeliness either!). :D

I just ran through the entire Jon Bon Jovi album "This Left Feels Right" and it was a great reproduction! I must say, I enjoyed most of the album and I felt relaxed afterwards. ;)

Nothing more satisfying in this crazy audio hobby of ours than sitting back and enjoying what we have put together.

The only thing that bugged me sometime through the session was the nagging memory of how my system sounded with the $500 CDP that my friend brought in... definitely better than the sound I'm getting through purely the Squeezebox3. I seriously want my CDP/DAC now. :mad:

Anyway, just wanted to post some candid thoughts....

Happy Valentines Day everyone! :clap:

Your resident crazyman,
Joey

Nothing more satisfying in this crazy audio hobby of ours than sitting back and enjoying what we have put together.

The only thing that bugged me sometime through the session was the nagging memory of how my system sounded with the $500 CDP that my friend brought in... definitely better than the sound I'm getting through purely the Squeezebox3. I seriously want my CDP/DAC now. :mad:

Poor Joey. Even when he is immersed in the beauty of the sonic nirvana he has created for himself, the kid still suffers in the throes of the dreaded Joeyitis.

So, let me derail a thread about enjoying what you have with a question. Why haven't you upgraded to a transporter? :p Are you going to use the dac with the sb?

And as for enjoying what I have, I'm loving my squeezebox right now. :) Listening to music in the sweetspot on the couch with the laptop. Bliss. :)

HI Joey,
You are so right. Thanks for reminding me. I know what I'm doing tonight.

Sparky

Listening to music in the sweetspot on the couch with the laptop. Bliss. :)

Pleaaaaaaaase !!......................you kids and your toys (laptop), tiss much better to be in the sweet spot with a dram of your favorite single malt !!

Pleaaaaaaaase !!......................you kids and your toys (laptop), tiss much better to be in the sweet spot with a dram of your favorite single malt !!

I can't argue with that. :)

Or small batch burbon... and yes, the music wouldn't be coming out of a squeezebox or transporter either for me. I'd be indulging in the mystic rites of the black pizza's.

Either way Joey, you hit the nail on the head. NOTHING works better for me at evaporating the cares of the world away than to be transported to another time and place by my music.

Can I get an Amen!

My wife's sisters flew down to Florida last week for a sisters get together. They went to a resort for 3 days leaving me to whatever other that some work.
I decided to drag out an old cheap turntable and connect it thur the phono section of a previous preamp to my (new to me) line stage tube preamp.
I immediately knew what the vinyl to tube people are talking about.

I haven't listened to records in years. Most recent record has to be about 15years old.

I stopped listening to them because it CD sounded so much better. Music I listened to ran from John Hartford to Pink Floyd.

When I thought I should think about shutting down and going to bed I looked at the clock and it was 3 AM. I'm 53 and that is not a normal bed time for me.

With no time constraints there are few things for me that eliminate the passing of time as music does.

Joey, make your next equipment purchase a good source (what ever format). I never would have guessed it would have made more change in the sound than a new tube preamp or mono blocks.

Joey, make your next equipment purchase a good source (what ever format). I never would have guessed it would have made more change in the sound than a new tube preamp or mono blocks.

I know I know.... it's a CD/DAC combo.. it has to be! Either that or just a plain DAC.... but I think I'm set on the Cary 306/200 or the Cary 306/300 (aka 306SACD). Now, to muster the energy to actually buy it and drain the checking account.

Or small batch burbon... and yes, the music wouldn't be coming out of a squeezebox or transporter either for me. I'd be indulging in the mystic rites of the black pizza's.

Either way Joey, you hit the nail on the head. NOTHING works better for me at evaporating the cares of the world away than to be transported to another time and place by my music.

Can I get an Amen!

AMEN!

Good night everyone! Sleep time for Joey... I'm 24hr shift tomorrow.

:cheers:

I know I know.... it's a CD/DAC combo.. it has to be! Either that or just a plain DAC.... but I think I'm set on the Cary 306/200 or the Cary 306/300

For the $5000 needed to get the Cary you can get a decent transport and a state of the art DAC. People usually don't buy integrated amplifiers, they go the separate way, also because of the greater flexibility. Why shouldn't this apply to CD players, too ? Personally, if it's one thing I would not buy off Agon or eBay, it's the CD player - I would buy it new, be it a player or a mere transport. As for the DAC, one with USB input would allow you to connect your computer directly to it.

It is very true that with the months of hassle and tweaking I've spent to get my system right, I have sometimes forgotten to sit down and appreciate the music...

Back