Settings of descent with the summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat2303

Reaction score
hi, i'd like to hear from the members about the different settings they made for their descent with the summits.

Thanks

Settings of Descents with Summits

Getting the proper setting is very dependent on positioning of the speakers in your room. Unfortunately, there are no absolute rules for getting this right.
I started out with the phase at 90 degrees (recommended by Martin Logan since the subwoofer is usually at some distance behind or between the speakers). This may not work for all systems.
The easiest way to get the subwoofer to integrate is to experiment with the help of an assistant. Put on low bass source and then have your assistant change the phase step by step until you have the clearest bass (not the most bass). The bass volume setting should be backed off in most cases at the 25 Hz level (I found - 3 to be right for my system). The overall volume should be set so the woofers move with bass (you can feel this if you are next to the speaker).
Most importantly, the subwoofer should not call attention to itself by "pulling" the sound into the corner.

About the level, i set at 1.8. I think it works well. About the phase i began with 0° but it was too oppressive so i'm now at 180 °
What about the level and the phase for you ?
About the filter did you pass at 70 Hz or 40 Hz ?
thanks

Settings of Descents with Summits

Phase depends on the distance relationship between the subwoofers and main speakers. Generally they will be some distance apart so that phase adjustment will affect the time domain of the bass information from the subwoofer relative to the main speakers. There are no rules for this since room size and surfaces also affect bass frequencies. It is best to adjust by ear.
The 70Hz and 40Hz controls relate to the bass response of the main speakers. In general, this should be set at 40Hz for the Summits since their bass response is at or below that frequency.
The level control is also arbitrary. I set mine at the lowest level of audiblity so that the subs do not interfere with the main speakers and draw attention to themselves. You can tell if this is happening but raising the level and hearing the image pulled to one side or the other.

Back