Setting up manual eq w/ Sources

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amill94

Reaction score
Hey guys,

New to the site and learning a lot through reading posts. Anyway, I have the ML Sources for fronts, Matinee center and Abyss sub. I'm unfortunately using my old Denon 3805 AVR. I used the auto calibration when I first got the speakers. Between the auto and running the speakers flat from 63hz-8khz the speakers had a decent low range and a lot of highs...but seemed to be weak on the midrange. I allowed the speakers to "break in" since May until now. I started to tweak the eq myself and ended up with the following. It sounds better, but I can't find anything that makes me 100% happy. Here are the settings, let me know what you think and what you guys may have done to bump up the midrange, or adjust the speaker overall.

63hz - +2
125hz - +2.5
250hz - +3.5
500hz - +3.0
1k - +0.5
2k - 0
4k - 0
8k - 0

Crossover set at 60hz. Speakers set to large, subwoofer mode lfe + main.

Thanks for the input.

Hi Amil:

Most of your filters are in the lower frequency range, which may indicate that you are having problems with subwoofer placement, equalization, phase and integration.

I would highly recommend that you check out the free REW software on hometheatershack.com, which deals precisely with these issues. You should also review the site's discussion on house curves. REW made a huge difference in my system.

By the way, your filter at 63hz is probably futile, as that is right in the crossfire of your crossover.

Best,

:p

Hi Amil:

Most of your filters are in the lower frequency range, which may indicate that you are having problems with subwoofer placement, equalization, phase and integration.

I would highly recommend that you check out the free REW software on hometheatershack.com, which deals precisely with these issues. You should also review the site's discussion on house curves. REW made a huge difference in my system.

By the way, your filter at 63hz is probably futile, as that is right in the crossfire of your crossover.

Best,

:p

Thanks,

I should have brought this up before. I was without a subwoofer for the past 2 months up until 2 days ago. So I've had the issue with midrange before the subwoofer. The subwoofer is dialed in now pretty decently. It's blended decently, and you can't locate it by sound. It adds a "feel" of rumble vs a boomy sound.

I'll check out the software though...hopefully that can really help me out.

The Denon, using the auto calibration gave me the following values, which I wasn't happy with.

63hz +5.5
125 +6
250 +4.5
500 +3
1k +.5
2k +.5
4k 0
8k 0

The REW software can help you with all frequencies, although many believe it is increasingly effective the lower below 500hz you go. I would still argue that a good measurement tool will help you improve the overall response of your system.

I find it helpful to see the frequency response of my system at my listening position and see the impact of differing placement and equalization.

The REW software can help you with all frequencies, although many believe it is increasingly effective the lower below 500hz you go. I would still argue that a good measurement tool will help you improve the overall response of your system.

I find it helpful to see the frequency response of my system at my listening position and see the impact of differing placement and equalization.

Cool, I registered and am waiting for the confirmation email since gmail is down. I am using a macbook pro and it says it'll work with os x, but don't I need a microphone or something? Didn't get to read or search about it since I can't activate my account yet.

REW will work fine with the macbook pro and the internal soundcard (there is a posting specifically related to your computer to help you set up).

The site details what else you need and how to set up; basically you will need $5 in cables and either:

a. Mic + box providing mic preamp/phantom power source OR
b. Radio shack sound meter

Hey guys,

New to the site and learning a lot through reading posts. Anyway, I have the ML Sources for fronts, Matinee center and Abyss sub. I'm unfortunately using my old Denon 3805 AVR. I used the auto calibration when I first got the speakers. Between the auto and running the speakers flat from 63hz-8khz the speakers had a decent low range and a lot of highs...but seemed to be weak on the midrange. I allowed the speakers to "break in" since May until now. I started to tweak the eq myself and ended up with the following. It sounds better, but I can't find anything that makes me 100% happy. Here are the settings, let me know what you think and what you guys may have done to bump up the midrange, or adjust the speaker overall.

63hz - +2
125hz - +2.5
250hz - +3.5
500hz - +3.0
1k - +0.5
2k - 0
4k - 0
8k - 0

Crossover set at 60hz. Speakers set to large, subwoofer mode lfe + main.

Thanks for the input.

amill94,

Apparently reseach has shown that music sounds better with what is referred to as 'room gain' in the mid-bass region. Seems that if the response is flat all the way in the bass region, music will tend to sound anaemic.

From my little experience with room correction features, except for an early rise at 500Hz, I'd say your figures look fine to me. This is the response of my Summits with the Anthem ARC-1 (red = before correction, green = with correction) -

Attachments

• MLPost.jpg
    MLPost.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 170
amill94,

Looks like you also have a room boundary or mode issue in the mid-bass.

Please experiment with placement changes, as that's a pretty big dip at crucial frequencies.

the other tip is to put a room treatment device like a MiniTrap HF from realtraps on the wall behind the two Sources.

This will both absorb the rear wave at mid-bass frequencies, and attenuate the high-frequency reflections from the wall behind. that will improve you mid and high-end clarity and 'focus'.

As for Mics to use with REW, the venerable radio shack SPL meter can be used, or the Galaxy mic discussed on the REW mic sub-forum.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm trying to track down a radio shack meter from a friend. I'll post a graph when I finally get the meter and software figured out...probably a week or so.

Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding the software that I couldn't find exact answers for.

8157d1214146630-rew-cabling-connection-basics-rew-interconnection-rs-meter1.jpg

In this drawing, the left rca from in and out on the sound card confuses me. What does it mean if it's "only used when left channel as calibration reference is selected"? Is this how I need to hook it up? I'm using a macbook pro, which says the audio in is a optical/stereo input. So would I take a standard mini jack to rca and go left and right from the spl meter into the sound card and the mini to rca out from the sound card to the receiver? I guess the part that's throwing me is the left portions of the rca's.

Sorry for the noob questions guys and thanks for the help.

Back