Sequel II woofer replacement

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvvinyl

Reaction score
Hello,
I've just joined this site and there is a lot of information here. Love it!
I'm looking for an original woofer for my Sequel II's.
I purchased theses speakers new in 1994. In 2009 I had one of the woofers go and then had one of the crossovers go up in smoke. I replaced the panels, the woofers and had the crossovers rebuilt all by Martin Logan. They do not make the original woofer anymore. The replacement woofers are retrofit and are aluminum unlike the originals. These woofers are crap. I've blown three of them since 2009. The last one was this week. Martin Logan is sending me another aluminum replacement, but I would like to find an original woofer.
I kept the one original woofer that was still good and have put it back in each time I've blown one of the new replacement woofers. I can hear the difference. It is a much better woofer. You can tell just by the build quality.
If anyone has or knows of someone I can get an original Sequel II woofer from I would greatly appreciate it.
My system consists of Sunfire amp, Cary Audio SLP-98P preamplifier-hot rodded, Musical Fidelity X-ray V3 CD player and X10V3 tube buffer stage, Rega P25 turntable (heavily modded) with Grado Statment 1 cartridge and The Woody tonearm by Pete Riggle, Tascam CD Recorder, Carver Sonic Holographer and Definitive Tech subs.

Thanks ever so much,
Ted(luvvinyl)

Do a search here on the word Scanspeak... It's the company who makes the ML woofers. You'll find some threads discussing replacements.

Good luck.

what type of music do you listen to? do you have a sub to take over from 80hz on down, When i had my SL3's i tried them once with out the sub and they bottomed out because of the volume i was running them at. I do not think they are designed for very high volumes. good luck!

I listen mostly to rock at high volumes. I've owned these speakers new since 1994 and never had any problems until 2009. I have Definitive Tech subs which I just recently purchased.(My actual system is shown on my first thread). I never used subs before 2011. I just think these replacement woofers from Martin Logan aren't quite the same match as the old woofers. I had one of the Techs say that the original Sequel II woofer was a much better woofer. I've looked at these Scanspeak speakers that people are saying to replace the woofers with and they look like the same ones Martin Logan sends me(aluminum) of course these have the Martin Logan logo on them.
I would just like to find an original woofer for my Sequel II.

I remember blowing my woofers out in my Sequels. This one bass heavy song tested subwoofers to the max and well, blew my over 10 year old woofers out, but man, did it rock while it was going. I called ML and at the time they had them in stock (sorry, I'm no help). I'll tell you this, once you get those replaced you'll want to change your panels too. If you're still on the original panels from 1994 they're in real need of replacement. You'll be amazed at how muddy the highs were with your old panels. I replaced all mine at the same time. Hopefully for you ML still has those too.

Good luck and happy listening.

Thank you for everyones input, but if everyone would read my original thread I have replaced the panels and had the crossovers rebuilt and changed the woofers with the crappy ones that Martin Logan has sent me in 2009. Just would like to find an original Sequel II woofer.

I plan to upgrade the woofers in my original Sequel IIs later this year, and you are welcome to them whenever I pull them out. All I ask is you pay for the shipping.

Do realize that woofers that old are not performing anywhere near to OEM specs. You might be better off finding a modern alternative, which has been often discussed in this forum.

I'll take your woofers. Let me know when you're taking them out and I'll pay for shipping. The woofers are still actively working I assume. I know everyone talks about Scanspeak replacements but I don't trust the replacements. They don't seem to be quite the same specs as the old woofers. Martin Logan just sent me another replacement and I don't want to put it in. I've blown three of these replacements. They look like the Scanspeak speakers everyone talks about. I think they're crap compared to the original woofers. My original woofer that I have left is still going strong and sounds better than theses replacements. Thank you for your input. I do appreciate it.

Back