Scripts making a very consistent hiss sound

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biff

Reaction score
Even after all pwer to the system is turned off, (the speakers are plugged in), they hiss while they are working also. I have vacuumed them several times. They make the hiss even with the speaker wires completely disconnected. All speakers, purities, maggies, script i's and a matinee are on same circuit, so no interference. And they have no hiss whatsoever. Another detail, both speakers started doing it at the same time, and do it evenly, no pops or cracks.

I did talk to ML service, they gave me a price for a power supply, which is fine, I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this issue, and what you did to replace it....I'd hate to spend several hundred on a pwr spply and not have it fix it.....

thx
Steve

Last edited:
Hola. All electrostatic may produce funny noises once and then. You can track the exact point from where this odd noise is coming from. With the aid of a paint brush and the speakers disconnected over night, clean that part And then vacuum again. Usually is a debris that are atracted by the electrostatic field. Hope this might help, happy listening, roberto

uh...

unfortunately, didn't work, thx anyway....
but I'm a little torn between fixing it, and waiting on the script i's replacement, or script replacement

However, Dana, from ML's service dept. was very helpful

Did you locate from where the hiss is coming from? Did you unplug them the night before, for cleaning procedure? The hiss, is it located even at the woofers or just the stat panel? The strange thing is that both are bad at the same time...this is very odd!!!. Dana is a very nice person!!! Good to have nice people at the service dept!!!

thx

the hiss is coming from the entire electrostatic panel on both speakers
I agree, it is odd that both are doing it, esp. the same amount....

the woofers seem fine...

thx Roberto

How old are the speakers? The fact that they are both doing it seems to point to a component that is failing in both - perhaps they got a bad batch of capacitors? I think that before you spring for new power supplies you should first get assurance from ML that if it does not cure the problem they will take the power supplies back and refund your money.

absolutely

How old are the speakers? The fact that they are both doing it seems to point to a component that is failing in both - perhaps they got a bad batch of capacitors? I think that before you spring for new power supplies you should first get assurance from ML that if it does not cure the problem they will take the power supplies back and refund your money.

if it weren't for the possible immenent release of new type script i's I was thinking of doing them 1 at a time and asking dana this, not sure of the age, I got them second-hand and worked fine for several months, but they've gotta be getting some age on them....

thx

Script i hiss

Even after all pwer to the system is turned off, (the speakers are plugged in), they hiss while they are working also. I have vacuumed them several times. They make the hiss even with the speaker wires completely disconnected. All speakers, purities, maggies, script i's and a matinee are on same circuit, so no interference. And they have no hiss whatsoever. Another detail, both speakers started doing it at the same time, and do it evenly, no pops or cracks.

I did talk to ML service, they gave me a price for a power supply, which is fine, I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this issue, and what you did to replace it....I'd hate to spend several hundred on a pwr spply and not have it fix it.....

thx
Steve

I had this "hiss" as well from each of my Script i's but not at the same time. I vacuumed the panels after turning them off overnight. This fixed it. I agree with Roberto that ESLs will hiss when there is dust on the panels. It is highly unusual for hissing to be prolonged once disconnected from signal sources. It is also very unusual for both speakers to develop this problem at the same time. Even if the panels are old, age usually diminishes volume or frequency response but not this. You could replace the power supplies but if you were considering new surrounds, as I hear they are coming this fall from M-L, then it wouldn't be worth it unless you have an emotional attachment to the Script-i s.

Back