Script-i woofer buzzing

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejn1111

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I purchased a pair of Script-i used and am using them as my mains in a 5.1 setup. I have them crossed over at 80 Hz and am noticing when playing bass rich music in stereo, one of the speakers is getting a buzzing distortion sound in the woofer. Its not all the time and only when the music has low notes playing. At first i thought it was the wall mounts creating vibration or the panel but I'm pretty sure its coming from the 6.5 in driver. Does this probably mean the driver is blown? Appreciate any insight.

Many thanks,
ejn1111

Hi everyone. I purchased a pair of Script-i used and am using them as my mains in a 5.1 setup. I have them crossed over at 80 Hz and am noticing when playing bass rich music in stereo, one of the speakers is getting a buzzing distortion sound in the woofer. Its not all the time and only when the music has low notes playing. At first i thought it was the wall mounts creating vibration or the panel but I'm pretty sure its coming from the 6.5 in driver. Does this probably mean the driver is blown? Appreciate any insight.

Many thanks,
ejn1111

I have had Script-i's for some time, using them as surrounds. Things might not be as bad as you might think. If you feel up to it, take off the dust cover and watch the woofer movement when you play something with low bass and see if the woofer moves uniformly. If it does, it is possible that there is something loose in the enclosure. You could check the mounting screws for the woofer and see if any are loose. If so tighten them carefully, then listen again. If you still get buzzing then it is either something in the enclosure (which you could investigate by carefully removing the woofer). This could be something as simple as the wires connected to the voice coil. If all of your efforts do not result in better bass, then the next order of business would be to call M-L service and see if you can get a replacement woofer. This will cost some bucks but still cheaper than getting a new speaker. My experience with M-L customer support has been excellent. Hope this helps.

If you blew the driver, you will hear a "scraping" sound with little or no bass output. Not a "buzz".

Can verify by accessing the driver and pushing it in and out.

Another possibility is that you are over driving the speaker.

GG

Thanks guys. The screws that hold the woofer itself are tight so it sounds like maybe something in the box. I'm not playing the speakers too loud but maybe they just cant handle that much in sound level given they were meant for surrounds. This surprises me as they are crossed at 80Hz so shouldnt have that much low freq stress.

Hola. the cut frequency at 80 means that you will get still info at -12dB , 40Hz or at -18dB, 40Hz, and -24dB at 40 Hz, depending of the type of the crossover, so the speaker gets low frequency info if there it is. Why don't you take the woofer apart, and inspect inside the cabinet and look for a faulty cable that could be in touch with the speaker cone, or something loose that could rattle there?. The woofer could be bad inside too, with something loose, and should be repaired or changed. Swap the woofers for a sure diagnosis. Happy listening!

Last edited:
Back