Safari - fastest Windows browser?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I watched the WWDC keynote by Steve Jobs earlier this week, and Apple announced the availability of Safari 3 as a Beta for Windows XP and Vista.

So I installed it on both OS's and lo and behold, it is indeed faster than IE 7, and by a good margin.

It also looks good.

Makes surfing this site much nicer.

Check it out: http://www.apple.com/safari/

Ahhh, good ol' Safari.

Have you tested it against FireFox?

In OSX, I think the FireFox is actually faster than Safari for some reason.

Eventually I may try Safari myself. Is IE7 significantly faster than IE6? IE6 must be the slowest browser on earth. Unless V7 is quite a bit faster it cannot serve as a frame of reference. Firefox is much faster than IE6 but overall Opera is the fastest. It will be interesting to see how Safari compares to these two browsers.

I agree with "Yang1815". I have a MacBook Pro 17" running a 2.1GHz processor, and on my machine Firefox is signifigantly faster than Safari. That is why Firefox is my prefered browser on my Mac. I don't even have Explorer (or any other Micro$oft software for that matter) installed on my Mac. The main reason that Firefox is faster tha Safari is that Firefox is a pretty "stripped-down" app as modern browsers go. Less features=faster app response.

But I will admit that Safari has a lot more whiz-bang features than Firefox. Since I don't really care about all those features, and am more concerned with just getting where I'm going fast, and the pages loading quickly, I use Firefox.

I don't find it in the least bit surprising that Safari would run faster under Windoze than Microsoft's own browser. No weird spyware built into it to report back to "the man", and no constant behind-the-schenes chatting with other Micro$oft applications--of course Safari is faster.

--Richard

Last edited:
Although the FireFox is stripped down, there are many add-ons for it though. My RSS reader, Sage, blows the built-in one on Safari!

Version 3

Guys, keep in mind we're talking about version 3 of Safari, not v2, which is what ships on current OS X.

Supposedly a significant re-write of key components. This is the core engine that will run on the iPhone as well.

I beleive the goal to get Winders adoption is to drive up compatability with the Safari engine so iPhone browsing experience is good due to sites complying with that browser.

I've run FireFox, and the v3 Safari is quicker (perception based).

What puzzles me is why doesn't Apple offer ver. 3 on OSX first...

Probably becuase it is still only a BETA version. So far I like it better than IE.

Safari is a typical Apple product. A software iPod. It does not offer FM radio nor does it squirt, but it excels at what it does. KISS.

And a big kiss back at 'ya....

Oh, you meant Keep it simple, got it :devil:

I was wondering when you'd join in given the topic :D

Dunno if you guys heard, but the beta of Safari for windows is riddled with bugs!!!! :eek: Apparently the worst of them allows a hacker to completely take over control of your computer!!!!:eek: Don't remember where I read this, possibly on engadget, but i'm sure a quick search will turn something up.

I guess my main point is to wait it out until they 'officially' release safari for windows..... I sure don't want to take any chances.

And another point, for you windows users, I have always and until something much better is released have used MAXTHON. Its a phenomenal browser, far better and faster than anything I have ever used. Not to mention INCREDIBLY SECURE!!! Built in popup blocker, adaware, spyware, etc etc etc..... The main thing that I love about it though, is the useful mouse gestures. So instead of having to click on 'back' I can just rt click and move the mouse to the left, or to go forward rt click mouse to the right. and many others. It is also a tabbed based browser. Check it out. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Back