SACD question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tav1

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 5 disc Sony SCD-C333ES SACD player for a steal. I am favorably impressed with the sound. Starting a collection of SACDs now. I know most of he older music is remixed using DSD from the master tapes; so would this explain hearing things differently than on the CD? I doubt that all of the levels for each instrument or vocals would match that of the original CD mastering. Am I correct about this, or missing something?
Thanks,
Torry V.

I have two Sony 400 disc CD/DVD/SACD players and love the sound of a good SACD.
Enjoy!

Lee

I know most of he older music is remixed using DSD from the master tapes; so would this explain hearing things differently than on the CD? I doubt that all of the levels for each instrument or vocals would match that of the original CD mastering.
There are some SACD that are equal to the redbook, but then there are some SACD that really stand out over redbook. This is like any format woes.

Level matching? Some SACD will sound not as loud as redbook at the same levels, but the dynamics you get with the SACD compared to redbook can be better and "generally" are. Some people complain about this on some recordings. I like it as I prefer to hear the music as it was recorded with the possibility of hearing the full range of the music being recorded and not setup to all sound the same.

With good SACD you will hear more detail, better separation between instruments, clearer vocals - basically a better sound across the board.

For Classical I much prefer the MCH versions over the 2 channel versions.

Last edited:
I owned the Sony 333ES SACD player for a few years and it was an excellent player especially for the rockbottom price that I picked it up for. Its not bad on redbook either but most SACDs were a noticeable improvement over Redbook. I have an extensive collection of SACDs now and have since upgraded to a Wadia SACD player.

Hi Torry,

Simply stated, it's a higher resolution format. More zeros and ones to the digital signal. Having said that, it doesn't necessarily mean a huge increase in performance and, as others have noted, is dependant on the individual recording.

However, a good SACD can certainly provide a "deeper" listening experience, all other things being equal.

GG

Latest posts

Back