Room correction vs tone control

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmstpierre

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am curious to know what is the difference between room correction such as the xt32,ARC foubd in receivers and tone control on Pre/integrated.
Does room correction basically do the same thing as adjusting tone control on an amp is there more to it that that. M not talking about the subwoofers, but just left and right channel as I will not be using a sub. This would be for my lounge room not my HT room.

Would I get better results running a room correction software (using my anthem receiver with external power amp)or getting a Pre with tone control and getting a dealer correctly manually adjust everything with the aid of a SPL METER.

I have already spent $3000 on accouctic treatment material from a Portugal company and awaiting delivery, but I want to get the most out of the speakers and unsure which road to go down.
Sincerely yours
John

Correction handles timing issues and group delays as well as frequency response.

After physical room correction, the new correction systems can make

quite a difference.

XT32 works well in my room. This is a multichannel system.

The new DSP dual core may be of interest to you. This is said to do a good job in a stereo system.

The DEQX HDP 4 seems also to be a very good choice but it is quite expensive.

The new anthem also has a correction system.

I think a pre plus correction to an amp can be very beneficial.

Last edited:
I agree that room correction software does much more than tone control. After proper acoustic treatment, it is probably the second best thing you can do to improve the speaker/room interaction, which will vastly improve your sound.

thanks guys,
i appreciate your input.
if it s a case of room correction being more usefull thamtone control is there any reason why 2ch system do not have room correction.? so far there s a few of them but at what cost..are the one for 2 ch superior to the ones found in receivers?
sincerely yours
john

The really good correction systems are quite new. I am not sure why there are so few built in to stereo preamps or integrated amps.

The. DSP dual core might be a cost effective approach. It is very new and is supposed to act as a simple pre amp as well.

I have not heard it.

J

I wouldn't purchase the Antimode dual core without a thorough evaluation. All of their prior work has been correcting room modes - not variance in frequencies above Schroeder, which can be tricky to do without audible side effects.

The DEQX HDP Express pre/pro isn't too much more expensive @ $1,995, last time I looked. I heard it at RMAF and, when the DEQX guy flipped the switch from pass through to Speaker/Room correction, everyone in the room's jaw dropped in amazement.

Latest posts

Back