Robin's Other Passion...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Lately, I have been given over to one of my other passions ~ playing guitar and singing... I recently purchased (won) a lovely mint condition Hammer 'Newport Korina' electric guitar. This was a steal deal on e-Bay. I justed lucked into. The Newport Korina is lovely simi-hollow body electric guitar with absoultly wonderful tonal qualities which are just astounding to my ears. The Newport korina is lite and very easy to play, which suits me every well. I have been playing and singing so much lately... I've been having just such a blast. :D

I desided to purchase a classical electric guitar, which is what I have always wanted to accomadate many of the song styles which I play. I had been auditioning many guitars prior to the purchase of the Newport Korina and I found that the Taylor Nylon Series guitars most suited my ears and playing style. So..., a couple of days ago I purchased (won) a mint condition Taylor NS62CE guitar on e-bay... I just got lucky again, kinda like James and the MBL 101A's... Anyway, I'm excitedly awiating delivery on this classical electric beauty anytmie now. :D

I am looking to purchase a simple Yamaha MG8/2FX mixer along with a pair of Mackie SR1522z Powered PA speakers. I have been busily auditioning many PA speakers and mixers, which turns out to be a whole other world from Martin Logan electrostatic speakers. The Mackies seem to be the most promising by far, especially the powered versions each speaker cabinet has an on board 400 watt "H" class amplifier to directly power the duel 15" woofers in addition to a 100 watt class "A-B" amplifier for the 1.75" horn. Truly amazing sounding PA speakers really... Lovely tone for both acoustic as well as electric guitar. I especailly love the sound of my own voice over these speakers.
The Yamaha mixer gives an excellent blend to the guitar sound acoustic / electric along with voices. I am planning to probably purchase in early September if I can find a good deal. :music:

Attachments

• Hammer - Newport Korina.jpg
    Hammer - Newport Korina.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 307
  • Taylor - NS62CE Guitar.jpg
    Taylor - NS62CE Guitar.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 298
  • Mackie SR1522z Speakers.jpg
    Mackie SR1522z Speakers.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 300
  • Yamaha - MG8-2FX Mixer.jpg
    Yamaha - MG8-2FX Mixer.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 303
Robin, So why aren't you bring your new toys and playing for us at the "Get Together" in Lawrence in a few weeks !!!

Nice job Robin! Love the semi-hollow body! I am going to get an arch top from my buddy at Abyss eventually. All my guitars are either steel string acoustic or solid body electric. I don't even have an acoustic with a pick up! I do have a pick up that I can slot into the sound hole on my Collings or Alvarez but use it VERY RARELY!

Have you tried any of the Fender PA speakers? I bought a set of those YEARS ago for my wife when she is out playing and singing (or if the whole group is out too) and I listened to Yamaha and several others but found the Fender to have a really nice blend of sound. Might give them a listen, I don't even remember which model I bought...seems like it was the 12" or 15" woofer model...

It is always nice to luck into GREAT deals isn't it?! :rocker:

I Would But...

Robin, So why aren't you bring your new toys and playing for us at the "Get Together" in Lawrence in a few weeks !!!
Dave,

My favorite nephew is having his huge wedding in Long Beach the weekend just before and my lovely / beautiful sister wants us to visit with her and hang-out with her famous friends as well. :D

You know my heart will be with you guys as you are auditioning all the marvelous ML speakers especially the new CLX speakers... :D I would like a full report of all the festivities with photos as well... :D :music:

Nakamichi Mics MXR and PS...

Robin, what are you using for mics. I have a mint (never used) set of (3) Nakamichi mics available incl. MXR and PS. Check it out here:
http://java.audioasylum.com/ca/ca.jtp?ca=11369
Neil,

They sound cool... :music: A great deal for sure, however I currently own a wireless mic and headset system. Thank you for the kind offer though. Your Nakamichi mics are definately a wonderful deal for some lucky person. :)

Thanks again.

Fender PA Speakers...

Nice job Robin! Love the semi-hollow body! I am going to get an arch top from my buddy at Abyss eventually. All my guitars are either steel string acoustic or solid body electric. I don't even have an acoustic with a pick up! I do have a pick up that I can slot into the sound hole on my Collings or Alvarez but use it VERY RARELY!

Have you tried any of the Fender PA speakers? I bought a set of those YEARS ago for my wife when she is out playing and singing (or if the whole group is out too) and I listened to Yamaha and several others but found the Fender to have a really nice blend of sound. Might give them a listen, I don't even remember which model I bought...seems like it was the 12" or 15" woofer model...

It is always nice to luck into GREAT deals isn't it?! :rocker:
James,

Yes, I was luck enough to have the opportunity to try-out the Fender PA speakers. :D They were great sounding but the Mackies just sounded better to my ears. :music:

Your group plays at outside gigs? Your Wife is apart of the group as well?
It must be exciting to perform for enthuiastic fans?
I know I just love performing as well. :)

I was impressed with the Alvarez Yairi classical electric guitar. A well make great sounding guitar. ;)

Robin,

You never cease to AMAZE me!!

BTW, I noticed you had not visited/posted for several days (almost a week) and I was beginning to wonder where you were... now I know you were busy with your other hobby!

Joey :)

Your group plays at outside gigs? Your Wife is apart of the group as well?
It must be exciting to perform for enthuiastic fans?
I know I just love performing as well. :)

Wife is a band director so she plays (or directs) at various things ALL the time. We both play in the Praise Band at church and we also play for other churches and events. Good times for the most part. Some crowds are more enthusiastic than others! :D

Wife is one of the lead female vocalists as well as the keyboard player. I am on guitar as you know. Lead and rhythm. Mostly backing guitar but I get to step (or in my case ROLL) out front from time to time to lay down some nasty lead bits... usually just noodling around stuff, but it's fun! :rocker:

Not sure I tried the Mackie speakers when I was looking... I could not have afforded them at the time anyway.

Hobbies... And Choices...

Robin,

You never cease to AMAZE me!!

BTW, I noticed you had not visited/posted for several days (almost a week) and I was beginning to wonder where you were... now I know you were busy with your other hobby!

Joey :)
Joey,

I appreciate your sentiments Joey. :D Somehow it feels good to be missed. :p I feel like the MLC is my on-line family and you are our Kid in the family...
Yes, it has been fun to let my passions run in a different though similar direction for a while. The reason, I desided to spend a few dollars on my musician hobbie instead of my audio hobbie is that believe-it-or-not their have been more deals and availiblity for the used gear I wanted as a musician. :rolleyes:

The gear I want for my audio music two channel music system is either not available yet (Like the ML-CLX speakers) or the prices are not low enough for gearlike the Marantz SA7S1 (none used) SACD/CD player. The only piece of gear, which I have concidered is the McIntosh MC 275 tubed amps. But these would be after I purchase the PA system, to go with my wireless micorphone system I have...:music:

Playing Beautiful Music Together...

Wife is a band director so she plays (or directs) at various things ALL the time. We both play in the Praise Band at church and we also play for other churches and events. Good times for the most part. Some crowds are more enthusiastic than others!

Wife is one of the lead female vocalists as well as the keyboard player. I am on guitar as you know. Lead and rhythm. Mostly backing guitar but I get to step (or in my case ROLL) out front from time to time to lay down some nasty lead bits... usually just noodling around stuff, but it's fun!

Not sure I tried the Mackie speakers when I was looking... I could not have afforded them at the time anyway.
James,

Your wife sounds like an amazing person. :) I think I would like her... :D She seems so talanted as a musician. What a wonderful thing to be able to share this kind of hobbie with your wife. :D

Yes, Mackies sound great with acoustic-electric, electric and especially classica-electric guitars and vocals... Espeically the model SR1522z I am considering. :music:

James,

Your wife sounds like an amazing person. :) I think I would like her... :D She seems so talanted as a musician. What a wonderful thing to be able to share this kind of hobbie with your wife. :D

You would like her! EVERYONE likes her! She is Awesome, and not only because she puts up with my $hit either! She is just a truely loving caring wonderful person! Technically she is QUITE a talented musician. She is not much for the creative side though... she does not write her own music. I find that interesting too since she was always very good with poetry. Seems if you could mix the technical side of music with someone good at poetry new music would just flow, but not the case with her...

Robin, I'm so jealous of you! I *love* guitar, but never seemed to have the time to pursue it, myself.

By the way, I live in Davis, which is just outside of Sacramento and is "on your way" to the LA area, either by plane or car. Wave at me as you go past! :D

Davis Fly By...

Robin, I'm so jealous of you! I *love* guitar, but never seemed to have the time to pursue it, myself.

By the way, I live in Davis, which is just outside of Sacramento and is "on your way" to the LA area, either by plane or car. Wave at me as you go past! :D
Ken,

Singing and playing guitar is difinately an experssion of my soul.
I just love it! :music:

Thank you... I'll wave as I go past. :) Though my hands will be gripping the arm rests very tightly, as I dislike flying, I'll free one up in order to wave in the direction of Davis. :D

I Love Poetry...

You would like her! EVERYONE likes her! She is Awesome, and not only because she puts up with my $hit either! She is just a truely loving caring wonderful person! Technically she is QUITE a talented musician. She is not much for the creative side though... she does not write her own music. I find that interesting too since she was always very good with poetry. Seems if you could mix the technical side of music with someone good at poetry new music would just flow, but not the case with her...
James,

I love that your wife was very good at writing poetry. Well written poetry is just wonderful. :D I am happy that you are married to such a lovely caring women.
Your a lucky man...

Your a lucky man...

Indeed I am! Folks usually say, "How did you end up with HER?!" LOL! We are a pretty good match, we each have different strengths that compliment each other well!

Thanks for your kind words Robin! :rocker:

Robin... you may have answered this question before... but have you thought about sharing your music w/ the folks on this forum? I'd love to listen to you play.

Music

Scott,

I have... Maybe someday... :)

I'm kinda shy... :p I do play for groups but mostly for my family and my own enjoyment. :D I listed above. I am just now trying to acquire the beginnings of actual quality sound system, which will include in the next year, simple recording gear, which will hook-up to the mixer.

Thank you for asking and the interest I really appreciate it. :music:

Back