Replace CDP or not???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One reservation I do have is how can I listen to the modified version before I buy it? I'm not sure if ModWright will modify any brand or just certain ones.
Contact Modwright or Vacuum State and they can probably find out if there are customers in your area who would be willing to give a demo.

Modwright does have some dealers in the US but not sure if they carry the modded players along with the other products they make.

Modwright and Vacuum State only modify certain players due to their redesigned output stages. Check their sites for the players they modify or better yet contact them as they both have very good customer support.

Dan

As for Cary I own the 303/300, IMO, it's a superb CDP, not to mention one of the most versitile as well.

Hey Dave. Unless I end up really liking what I hear in one of the players that was mentioned earlier I may end up buying a used Cary 303/300. Not all of my listening will be completed if I do go with the Cary that I'm looking at, but if the price is right then that may seal the deal for me.

As for the modded player, I'm still not sure what I may do. Thanks guys for all of your advice and suggestions.

Glen

Very happy with my Sony SCD-1 with Vacuum State mods. Good people to talk with if you want some suggestions.

I know you are happy! I'm quite happy with a number smaller Level 5 modded Sony (SCD-555ES, European model).

One reservation I do have is how can I listen to the modified version before I buy it? I'm not sure if ModWright will modify any brand or just certain ones. I have a Pioneer DV-47a that may qualify if not the Apollo itself. Lots of options:D.

Glen

Fountain,

The most ideal way to audition is to buy the players used, run A/B tests, and sell what you don't like. If you get decent deals, you only incur minor transaction costs. Most people don't do it this way for a variety of reasons.

Personally, I would not buy anything I have not heard. Just because someone likes Ayre or Modwright or Cary, does not mean you will. For example, I heard the Cary in tube mode in a tubed Jolida system, and it sounded atrocious to me. Had I owned that system and not tried other options, I would be living with a very limited system (known or unknown to me).

Have fun auditioning

Fountain,

The most ideal way to audition is to buy the players used, run A/B tests, and sell what you don't like. If you get decent deals, you only incur minor transaction costs. Most people don't do it this way for a variety of reasons.

Personally, I would not buy anything I have not heard. Just because someone likes Ayre or Modwright or Cary, does not mean you will. For example, I heard the Cary in tube mode in a tubed Jolida system, and it sounded atrocious to me. Had I owned that system and not tried other options, I would be living with a very limited system (known or unknown to me).

Have fun auditioning

Thank you David. I will have alot of listening to do this evening and tommorrow. It's just so easy to get caught up in the moment and buy without thinking.:eek: I will also talk to my dealer at length and see what advice he has on the matter and weigh it with all of the suggestions I've received. Thanks again.

Glen

Back