Replace CDP or not???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOUNTAIN

Reaction score
Well I've been thinking of upgrading my cd player and wanted to get some informed opinions. Right now I have a Rega Apollo and was not sure what price range I would need to be in to get a noticeable difference. I've considered Rega Saturn, Ayre CX-7e, and a used Cary 303 300 or 200. Of course I'm not even sure at this point if any of these would offer any significant upgrade. Some say the Saturn is just another Apollo with a slightly sweeter sound and of course this has me wondering if any of the other cd players mentioned would fall into this category. I just don't want to spend alot of money for a little to no difference.:( I'm not sure if I'll buy anytime real soon, but just wanted to get my feet wet before I started doing any in depth listening tests. Thanks for any advice you can give and as always if you have other suggestions please feel free to suggest.

Glen

I just don't want to spend alot of money for a little to no difference.:(
Glen

Get out and start listening then!! ;)

My recommendation would be to consider a DAC rather than a CDP upgrade. That way you could connect a music server (now or in the future) if you so desire. CDPs are getting rather old-hat.

Another option is modified players, which give you performace of the expensive models for significantly less cost. You can get brand new players which are modified with warranty. You can also buy a used player and have it modified.

Watch out as some of the modders are just part swappers. Modwright and Vacuum State both have brand new designed output stages for their mods and it is what makes them two of the best out there.

Modwright is a great place to deal with and here are some reviews to mull over.

ModWright 9100ES Awarded 2006 Writer’s Choice Award
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue28/awards2006.htm

Review by Bob Levi for Positive Feedback Online:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue28/modwright9100.htm

Review by Ryan Coleman for Dagogo:
http://www.dagogo.com/ModWright9100ES.html

Last edited:
Get out and start listening then!! ;)

My recommendation would be to consider a DAC rather than a CDP upgrade. That way you could connect a music server (now or in the future) if you so desire. CDPs are getting rather old-hat.

I did not realize that CDP's were going out of style since so many are offered on the market by many hi-end companies.;) But I do however plan to go in a couple of weeks and listen to the Ayre and Rega Saturn when time allows. I was just curious if these players or any others in this price range would be a good place to start or if I needed to save more and go to a different price range. I haven't considered an external DAC though, and am opened to this idea. At present there are no plans for a music server, but if an external DAC provides a more musical experience and the opportunity for future connectivity then if you have any to suggest please suggest away.

Thanks,

Glen

I did not realize that CDP's were going out of style since so many are offered on the market by many hi-end companies.;) But I do however plan to go in a couple of weeks and listen to the Ayre and Rega Saturn when time allows. I was just curious if these players or any others in this price range would be a good place to start or if I needed to save more and go to a different price range. I haven't considered an external DAC though, and am opened to this idea. At present there are no plans for a music server, but if an external DAC provides a more musical experience and the opportunity for future connectivity then if you have any to suggest please suggest away.

Thanks,

Glen

I wouldn't say it provides more musicality, but it gives you more options - that's the key.

Benchmark DAC-1
Musical Fidelity X-DAC (v3, v8), with PSU
Musical Fidelity TriVista (used)

That should get you started. Go up the money tree from there.

Another option to consider is a CDP that has digital input. That might give you the best of both worlds.

Another option is modified players, which give you performace of the expensive models for significantly less cost. You can get brand new players which are modified with warranty. You can also buy a used player and have it modified.

Watch out as some of the modders are just part swappers. Modwright and Vacuum State both have brand new designed output stages for their mods and it is what makes them two of the best out there.

Modwright is a great place to deal with and here are some reviews to mull over.

ModWright 9100ES Awarded 2006 Writer’s Choice Award
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue28/awards2006.htm

Review by Bob Levi for Positive Feedback Online:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue28/modwright9100.htm

Review by Ryan Coleman for Dagogo:
http://wwwdagogo.com/ModWright9100ES.html

Thank you for the recommendation. I've heard of ModWright before, but had forgotten about them. I will definitely look into this.

Glen

I wouldn't say it provides more musicality, but it gives you more options - that's the key.

Benchmark DAC-1
Musical Fidelity X-DAC (v3, v8), with PSU
Musical Fidelity TriVista (used)

That should get you started. Go up the money tree from there.

Another option to consider is a CDP that has digital input. That might give you the best of both worlds.

I'll check out those DAC's you mentioned, but I do believe I like the suggestion of a CDP with a digital input more. If I'm not mistaken the Cary 306 (200) had this feature. I saw that Joey_V bought this model, just before he exited the audio scene temporarily, and raved about it. Thanks again for your help.

Glen

I'll check out those DAC's you mentioned, but I do believe I like the suggestion of a CDP with a digital input more. If I'm not mistaken the Cary 306 (200) had this feature. I saw that Joey_V bought this model, just before he exited the audio scene temporarily, and raved about it. Thanks again for your help.

Glen

Yes, I've heard only good things about this model.

I wouldn't say that CD players are going out of style. CDs will be around for some time and its often easier to just pop in a CD rather than take the time to rip so you can play it from a music server. Music servers are definitely coming into style and I use a SlimServer SB3, iTunes and a CD player. They all play through my CDP which also serves as a high-end DAC.

A CDP with a digital input is an excellent suggestion and some of the Cary models old and new offer this feature. The Cary's also sound excellent. I'm using a Wadia but the Cary's are a little more affordable and a good value especially on the used market.

In your case, going to a high-end DAC or a good CDP with digital in is certainly a wise option that gives you some flexibility.

Last edited:
+1 on the modded players.

Dan and I both had our players modified and we are more than happy with the results.

The fellows at modwright are well known for their outstanding products and great customer service. They really know their stuff. Don't hesitate to call them and see how they can help.

Erik

Glen, Having listened to Dan's and Erik's Modded CDP I can vouche for the credibility of the "modded route"....both very fine pieces indeed. But as Dan said, I'd stick with Allen or Dan Wrights (I don't believe their related) products.

As for Cary I own the 303/300, IMO, it's a superb CDP, not to mention one of the most versitile as well.

Glen, Having listened to Dan's and Erik's Modded CDP I can vouche for the credibility of the "modded route"....both very fine pieces indeed. But as Dan said, I'd stick with Allen or Dan Wrights (I don't believe their related) products.

As for Cary I own the 303/300, IMO, it's a superb CDP, not to mention one of the most versitile as well.

Yeah, doesn't your player have a tube output stage as well?

I've had my eye on this player (used), and I have leaned toward this one from my own reading up to this point. I really like the fact I could choose either tube or ss output, but I don't believe it has a digital input. While this is not a huge deal to me right now, but it would be nice if it did. Anyway, I have alot of reading to do and then some listening over the next few days/weeks. Thanks for the suggestion. And just out of curiosity do you listen in tube or ss mode with your Cary?

Glen

I've had my eye on this player (used), and I have leaned toward this one from my own reading up to this point. I really like the fact I could choose either tube or ss output, but I don't believe it has a digital input. While this is not a huge deal to me right now, but it would be nice if it did. Anyway, I have alot of reading to do and then some listening over the next few days/weeks. Thanks for the suggestion. And just out of curiosity do you listen in tube or ss mode with your Cary?

Glen

The Cary tube mode sounds washed out and dead on some systems, just right on others. Your other components will be the determining factor.

Also, I would recommend you listen to Naim. It has very nice rhythm. Also, try an Esoteric.

I have A/B'd many of the players you are talking about, and Ayre is my favorite. Ayre also has the best value per dollar ratio than anything out there. Your tastes may be different, though.

If you really want to be done with it, get an Ayre C5-xe. The regular redbook CD's sound awesome. The dvd audios and SACD sound sublime. It may be the best one box cd player on the planet.

There are not many bad choices at your price point. My concern is that you are priming your mind with other people's opinions before listening for yourself.

Have fun!

And just out of curiosity do you listen in tube or ss mode with your Cary?

Both actually, but having 'rolled' in a pair of Radiotechnique 1956 NOS 12AU7's this past March, I'm about 80-90% tube output.

The Cary tube mode sounds washed out and dead on some systems, just right on others. Your other components will be the determining factor.

Also, I would recommend you listen to Naim. It has very nice rhythm. Also, try an Esoteric.

I have A/B'd many of the players you are talking about, and Ayre is my favorite. Ayre also has the best value per dollar ratio than anything out there. Your tastes may be different, though.

If you really want to be done with it, get an Ayre C5-xe. The regular redbook CD's sound awesome. The dvd audios and SACD sound sublime. It may be the best one box cd player on the planet.

There are not many bad choices at your price point. My concern is that you are priming your mind with other people's opinions before listening for yourself.

Have fun!

Thanks David for the advice. I usually try to be as unbiased as possible, but there are times in my audio journey that I have bought just on people's opinion. Sometimes I've faired ok and others well.... not so good. As for the Naim I'll have to locate a dealer that has them on display. I've heard alot of positive statemnets concerning them so I'll have to check them out.

Both actually, but having 'rolled' in a pair of Radiotechnique 1956 NOS 12AU7's this past March, I'm about 80-90% tube output.

Dave, if I end up going this route I'll be checking out what you did with the tubes more closely. This player has definitely got my attention:D.

Depending on budget I can highly recommend the ARC tube CD players.

I have the CD7 and it is magnificant. They are also bringing out a CD5 which sits below the CD7, but apparently superior to the now out of production CD3.

Marc.

Thank you for the recommendation. I've heard of ModWright before, but had forgotten about them. I will definitely look into this.
The Modwright players have been compared/reviewed against stock players costing 2-4 times what the Modwright costs and have equaled or exceeded those players. The usual complaints against the Modwright are build quality (typical Sony chassis and drive), and discussions about the extreme frequencies.

Are these qualities or issues worth $6-$10k more in cost to obtain with the higher priced players? Maybe. Some folks need that "price tag effect" when showing off their stuff, some just have the $$$ laying around and always want the absolute best.

Price versus performance should always be considered when auditioning additions to your setup. Do not be swayed by cost in your purchases, listen for yourself as only the end user can decide which is best.

Listening...

I called my dealer today and I will be comparing the Rega Saturn, Mcintosh MCD 201, and the Ayre CX-7e. I also found a dealer that carries Musical Fidelity and will be paying them a visit as well. This should give me a good base of comparison I believe. As far as a modded player, I'm very new to this sort of thing so I'm going to keep reading about it. One reservation I do have is how can I listen to the modified version before I buy it? I'm not sure if ModWright will modify any brand or just certain ones. I have a Pioneer DV-47a that may qualify if not the Apollo itself. Lots of options:D.

Glen

Back