Recommended rear speakers to use with CLX/Decent-i/Theater-i?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jshowalter

Reaction score
We started years ago with just some Quests in the front.

Then we went to 5.1: upgraded to Prodigies in the front, moved the Quests to the back, and added a Theater-i center.

Now we've upgraded the fronts to CLXs, and moved the Prodigies to the back.

But the Prodigies in the back kind of take over the room behind the sofa, and I'm thinking of getting a pair of newer/smaller full-range ML hybrids for the back. Something like Summit Xs, Summits, the new Montis, or maybe the Ethos.

Our listening/theater room is 20' deep and 22' wide, with high ceilings and a back wall and side walls with various open-floor-plan openings into adjacent rooms.

The speakers are arranged in ITU 5.1 (3/2) layout.

What would be a good choice for the rear speakers?

Update: I should mention that we have no plans to go to 7.1. Our room isn't able to accommodate that layout (at least not for full-range speakers in the back and side-back), and we like our current electronics.

Last edited:
Well I am pushed for space so when i bought the martin logan stage I then moved the matinee center to the back and added another .They make a great rears but If I had space I would for sure go with a pair of source

I'am using the Stylos for the rears (front; Summits) and they are doing a very good job and are flat and easy to place.

If you run out of options, you may be surprised when you experiment using those Prodigies for side speakers and forsaking any rears. All that panel in the front will really make your HT immersive and the subs within the Prodigies may help the CLX mains. I don't miss my rears that much and I have ample space to put a pair in the back.

I am using the Motif for rear surround with my CLX. No complaints here. You can see the last photo on flicker, the way I have them mounted with description.

Last edited:
Back