Reciver for Purity

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenaci0usB

Reaction score
Receiver for Purity

I am a new Purity owner and am looking for a good receiver. I would appreciate any recommendations. I will only be listening to music in stereo and will not need 7.1 sound. Given that I will using the pre-amp out on the receiver, does it matter how good the receiver is? I am assuming that since the Purity has an internal amp, it will not benefit from the amplification on the receiver.

I have been looking at the harman/kardon HK 3490 and am wondering if I should get something better. I am looking to spend up to $500, and perhaps more if it makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Brett

Last edited:
If you don't plan to use it for multi channel, and intend to use the speakers internal amplifiers, why limit yourself to a receiver? If I were going with the Purity myself I'd find a good used pre-amp. That way all of your investment is focused on the task at hand. I'd be willing to bet that you could get into a used tubed pre-amp on AudioGon within your budget that will give you MUCH better sound than pretty much any $1000 reciever you might find.

mitt is right.
I have tried Purity with different preamps and I will suggest not to use Purity with an AVR for stereo sound. A preamp with tubes is a great choice. Right now I am using a passive one with transformers but my dac has a tube in the output stage. One other option for stereo sound is a cd player with volume control connected directly to the speakers.

Thanks for the advice. I am seriously considering the Parasound Zpre2 which lists for $399. Does anyone have experience with this preamp? I wonder if it is a good match for the Purity.

http://parasound.com/ParasoundZ/zpre2.php

From what I found, this seems to be quite a good preamp for the money.

mitt is right.
I have tried Purity with different preamps and I will suggest not to use Purity with an AVR for stereo sound. A preamp with tubes is a great choice. Right now I am using a passive one with transformers but my dac has a tube in the output stage. One other option for stereo sound is a cd player with volume control connected directly to the speakers.

Another suggestion. Take a look at the Benchmark DAC 1Pre. It combines a gainstage with a DAC. You could then use any CD or DVD player as a source and if you want to get really SOTA, then get a Wadia iPod deck to provide digital output to the DAC 1Pre from your iPod. The results from Apple lossless with this combo can be spectacular.

Thanks for the advice. I am seriously considering the Parasound Zpre2 which lists for $399. Does anyone have experience with this preamp? I wonder if it is a good match for the Purity.

http://parasound.com/ParasoundZ/zpre2.php

From what I found, this seems to be quite a good preamp for the money.

I use the zpre2 processor for my second zone for the outdoor speakers, since my Primare sp31.7 processor is only a single zone. I also use the zpre tuner. I think they both sound very good.

Since you are not looking for the receiver to supply power, there are non-powered processor only pieces available out there - unknown if they are in your stated price range other than on the used market.

For a receiver, I would look for companies in your price range first, then shop by features most important to you.

Based on your statement to start this thread as needing "stereo only", I agree with other replies on getting yourself a nice Pre Amp (two channel) instead of the receiver. There are many companies offering nice pre amps new and you can also pick up some superior pieces used on the 'Gon

Latest posts

Back