RealTraps now offering decorator fabric versions!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Nice to see that Ethan/RealTraps have started offering their MiniTraps with decorator fabric options, in the usual Guilford of Maine colors. Unfortunately, this new product comes too late for me, as I just purchased a competing product. Hopefully others will avail themselves of this new option, as RealTraps are so highly regarded.

http://www.realtraps.com/p_guilford.htm

Very nice, the "wife friendly" line comes a little late for me as well. The wife is ok with my treatments as long as she can hang some pictures of the "rat pack" and some classic old movies (fine by me).

Shoot, I purchased four panels just last month. Timing is everything.:p

Sleepy, that’s cool news.

I’d also like to point out that any of the commercial products with a metal outer shell are quite easy to improve on from a WAF standpoint.

Just buy some nice artistic cloth in a pattern that’s pleasing, and tuck it under the edges of the shell (the existing panel material has some ‘give’ and voila, a much nicer looking front to the trap.
Use some really small pins right at or under the edge to really secure the cloth. Easy to do, as pins go into fiberglass with just a push.
Depending on the tightness of the weave of the material, the High-Frequency performance of the trap will be slightly affected, but for mid-bass and bass, it should be a non-issue.

Another trick (these all come from the resident Artiste) is to use some of the very nice multi-colored and patterned yarns available these days to create a few ‘lines’ of highlight across the generally flat and boring (black or white) faces of the traps.

Again, a few strands pulled tight and tucked under the edges, secured with some pins for good measure will give a very nice, subtle color and texture highlight to an otherwise boring 2x4’ panel.

More ambitious designs with the yarn can be achieved by laying the panel flat on its back and using fusible fabric mesh cut in a pattern upon which you lay the yarn, then iron on (to fuse the yarn to the panel fabric). Just make sure to use a Teflon sheet between the iron the Yarn/fusible tape, don’t want glue on the iron. This lets your artistic freedom do whatever you want: curves, complex geometries across the face of the panel, whatever.

The wife has endless ideas on this front. Maybe we should start a ‘Decorator ideas thread’ with emphasis on Acoustics values combined with WAF / décor benefit.

Back