Queue "Jaws" theme

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HsvToolFool

Reaction score
The dreaded black-framed, bubinga-skinned, summit sharks have my scent...

Attachments

• summit_jaws.jpg
    summit_jaws.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,134
Last edited:
Congrats on the new Summits. The bubinga will look great and these speakers sound like music with the right ancillaries. We look forward to the pictures (or Joey might not share the secret handshake)!

That's too funny, Brian. Do you have some on order, or have you already taken possession? You need to come over and listen to my setup now that I have the acoustical treatments pretty much where I want them. It is sounding really good.

Damn, and I thought I was the only one on the Board with black framed Bubinga Summits! Congrats! They are indeed a GORGEOUS looking and sounding creature! Guess I'll need to change my avatar! :D

classic photo, but it just begs to ask, "Why aren't you planted in front of your Summits, soaking up their glorious-ness instead of playing on Photoshop?"

:D

Congrats on the new logans..

Nice pic! LOL!

I know the panels can be washed, but I didn't know the woofers could be too. I bet those Bubingas don't look so hot after the water gets through with them.

Sorry Alan.... we have number 2 bubinga in the house! :p

Do you have some on order, or have you already taken possession?

Wrote the check yesterday. They'll arrive in three to four weeks. Imagine "duh Dum, duh Dum, duh Dum..." playing in your head for three to four weeks. It's a real slow shark.

My gigantic Velodyne HGS-18 will definitely be sold. I won't need HT bass reinforcement with the Summits in my room. And if I ever change my mind then I'll add an in-ceiling IB sub.

But I may keep my SL3 as surround speakers. It would look so frikken ridiculous that I almost can't resist the idea.

You need to come over and listen to my setup now that I have the acoustical treatments pretty much where I want them. It is sounding really good.

Excellent! We should definitely meet sometime. I think you know my audio buddy Jose'. He's been meaning to come over and audition the BAT cd player since I bought it last year. We also plan to take it over to his house and compare the BAT player's tube sound to the Naim gear on his big Prodigy system.

Damn, and I thought I was the only one on the Board with black framed Bubinga Summits!

Huh, I didn't know the option was rarely selected. The wood itself certainly isn't rare, although ML sure charges enough for it. But "curly" bubinga is a no-brainer for jaw-dropping good looks. A wood-working nerd like me can't resist it.

In fact, I have about 30 board-feet of quarter-sawn bubinga in my stash. I plan to build some dual-purpose diffusion-panels/architectual-panels from this lumber. The grain is straight instead of "curly" like the Summit's veneer, but hopefully the color and texture will match well enough so that you can tell it's the same wood. I hope to hide the wires and plugs in the wall behind panels installed below the plasma. I may also use the panels above the plasma for better acoustics.

In fact, I have about 30 board-feet of quarter-sawn bubinga in my stash. I plan to build some dual-purpose diffusion-panels/architectual-panels from this lumber. The grain is straight instead of "curly" like the Summit's veneer, but hopefully the color and texture will match well enough so that you can tell it's the same wood. I hope to hide the wires and plugs in the wall behind panels installed below the plasma. I may also use the panels above the plasma for better acoustics.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on the Summits!

I would be very interested in seeing your Bubinga diffusion-panels so please post some pictures when they are done

They're here!

They're here!

And hopefully they weren't built from wood grown over an
ancient Indian burial site...

Attachments

• theyre_here.jpg
    theyre_here.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 462
They're here!

And hopefully they weren't built from wood grown over an
ancient Indian burial site...

Dont laugh.....the wife and I are building a home on a very old piece of ex-farm/church property. Two lots down from us is an area which was at one time a (supposed) burial site. Although this section of the development is set aside as a historic preserve and has undergone extensive testing, any of the surrounding lots are subject to forfeiture in the event of a 'discovery'. I was there they day they dug the footing.....man was I nervous (!)

Got a good chuckle out of your post, though. Cant wait to see pics of your new Logans.....

TJ

Hah... yours and mine are kinda like "twin sons of different mothers" :D

Here's a comparable pic of mine!

Attachments

• Bubinga (Medium).jpg
    Bubinga (Medium).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Thanks! They're playing Holly Cole as I type. My first gut
impression is "Awesome!". Nowhere near as bass-heavy as
I had feared with zero break-in. Then again, I noticed that
the bass level was cranked to 100% from the factory.
Naturally, I dialed it back to 50% for tonight's CD Binge.

Hah... yours and mine are kinda like "twin sons of different mothers"

I thought the exact same thing when I first saw my photo.
The angle and floor color are nearly identical to yours. But
your photo better represents the veneer's actual color. It's
not as dark as in my photo, although it will darken with
age (especially if exposed to UV).

Brian,

Absolutely gorgeous! Being the second owner of the Bubinga, you are just one of two who own such a precious Summit art. I am envious of the Bubinga...

Glad you like the sound, I didn't doubt that you wouldn't though.

Congrats!

Thanks! They're playing Holly Cole as I type. My first gut
impression is "Awesome!". Nowhere near as bass-heavy as
I had feared with zero break-in.

Just wait till you get those babies broken in -- you are going to love the bass. The summits have some of the best bass I have ever heard.

Martin Logan are not kidding - they take a LONG time to break in. A few years ago I always dreamed of owning a loudspeaker that sounded as good as my old BBC LS3/5a's - but with much more bandwidth and loudness capability.

Now with the Summits I own these loudspeakers... :bowdown:

BTW I love the Bubinga.

Back