Quests failure ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djsmit

Reaction score
Dear ML owners,

I own a pair of Quests (yes I know, oldies, but still..) . As a pre-amp I use Sphinx project2 MkII, amps are Sphinx P12, balanced version. Recently the sound of my quests is very bad, music has a lot of distortion in the upper regions and the bass is much to pronounced. The lower regions have always been a bit too much,but now, it is not worthwhile to listen to.
Does anybody know what could be wrong ? As a CD player I use a Rotel CD991, balanced version.
regards,
Dirk-Jan smit

You have 2 choices .....

1. For $695 +shipping you can get new panels ......

2. Sell them to me cheap ! Ill get new panels !:D

The new panels will make make a huge diference, they will revise your speakers. It is a value you cant beat . I know I did it :rocker:

You have 2 choices .....

1. For $695 +shipping you can get new panels ......

2. Sell them to me cheap ! Ill get new panels !:D

The new panels will make make a huge diference, they will revise your speakers. It is a value you cant beat . I know I did it :rocker:

Agreed...you need new panels and for +- $800.00 you will have new speakers!
Happy listening,
Roberto.:musicnote:

One of my reQuests starting acting up a while back and I wasn't sure what to do. I removed the crossovers from both speakers (very carefully!) and swapped them so that I could eliminate them from my list of suspects. The problem stayed on the same side so I assumed that I needed new panels and I ordered a set from ML. When they came in I started taking my speakers apart and found out that the solder joint had come loose that connected my stat panel! Had I taken the time to check that first I probably could have saved some $$$.

FWIW, since I had already paid for the new panels I installed them anyway. I was pleased with my purchase in the end. For +/- $800 I really did have new speakers! :D

thanks

OK, thanks for the answers,C.A.P.,Roberto and Fatj. Sorry C.A.P. I won't sell them, too much addicted to the sound I think. So I'm gonna do a bit of serious Factfinding like Fatj did and order new panels if needed.
I'll post the results on this website.
regards
D.J. Smit

Do you have another amp you can hook up to be sure the amp is not the problem??

Have you given them a good vacuum??
Unplug them over night, so the panels discharge.

Maybe you should try the Shower method before you buy panels.
see DIY section I have a PDF of how to do it.

I replaced my stators about 8 months ago in my Quest's,
I also update to the music sensing power supplies,

They are brand new again, and I will NEVER sell them.

Hope you get it worked out.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Bought my Quests new circa 1997, and they sound like the day I got them. Not sure, but maybe I'm missing something. A lot of you guys have replaced the panels.

Latest posts

Back