Questions about Squeezeboxes

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain_tinker

Reaction score
Folks,
I am researching squeezeboxes. I see that a few of you have them, and so after having read the users manual online, I still have a few questions.

I see that several of you use a NAS device for streaming data to the SB. Does your computer need to be on to allow the SB to view the files on the NAS? I would assume no, but I am not sure how you would set up the SB to be able to recognize the NAS as a host. I am sure it has an IP etc, but it doesn't have a real OS so you could not install the Slim Server on it could you? Or is there some other setting that I just didn't catch?

Also, I have an old 20 gb IDE HDD that I could probably put all my music on and put it into a NAS enclosure, do any of you have a recommendation for nicely priced enclosure and where to get it? Brand, model, etc...

It says it supports playlists. Does it create it's own, or could it use an m3u playlist, like the ones that Winamp creates? Just curious, it doesn't say.

Oh, and if using WPA2 with a hugely long sting of letters, numbers, and punctuation for a password, I don't see all those punctuation characters on the remote, must one use the remote, or is there a way to do it via the slim server software?

I know, lots of questions, but I think that this may be an interesting way to listen to my stuff without having to always be pulling my cds out.

-capT

Folks,
I am researching squeezeboxes. I see that a few of you have them, and so after having read the users manual online, I still have a few questions.

I see that several of you use a NAS device for streaming data to the SB. Does your computer need to be on to allow the SB to view the files on the NAS? I would assume no, but I am not sure how you would set up the SB to be able to recognize the NAS as a host. I am sure it has an IP etc, but it doesn't have a real OS so you could not install the Slim Server on it could you? Or is there some other setting that I just didn't catch?

Also, I have an old 20 gb IDE HDD that I could probably put all my music on and put it into a NAS enclosure, do any of you have a recommendation for nicely priced enclosure and where to get it? Brand, model, etc...

It says it supports playlists. Does it create it's own, or could it use an m3u playlist, like the ones that Winamp creates? Just curious, it doesn't say.

Oh, and if using WPA2 with a hugely long sting of letters, numbers, and punctuation for a password, I don't see all those punctuation characters on the remote, must one use the remote, or is there a way to do it via the slim server software?

I know, lots of questions, but I think that this may be an interesting way to listen to my stuff without having to always be pulling my cds out.

-capT

I'll attempt to answer:

1: Yes, the computer needs to be on - the SlimServer software needs to be running.

2: No idea on NAS enclosures. BUT 20GB will not be much storage if you are going to use lossless compression. With lossless compression you will end up with 300-400 MB per CD - that is only 50 or so CDs on that disk. The Squeezebox is capable of very good performance (not up to original CD standard, but still very close) - you will not want to hold it back with lossy compressed music.

3: It creates its own playlists, or you can use those from iTunes which is what I do. I would assume the M3U playlists would work as well, but not too sure.

4: No idea about WPA2 - I use WPA and had no problem. Seriously - I got this thing up and running in about 10 minutes. Nothing unexpected. No problems to solve.

5: ONE WORD OF WARNING - the FF/REW (although it says so in the manual) does not work. You can only use a Squeezebox to listen to tracks in their entirety - start to finish.

5: ONE WORD OF WARNING - the FF/REW (although it says so in the manual) does not work. You can only use a Squeezebox to listen to tracks in their entirety - start to finish.

FWIW, FF/REW works on mine (SB3, fairly recent firmware).

You definitely have to have your computer running for the slimserver app. Amey is right-on.

My playlists from MusicMatch work just fine and they are m3u extensions, so I'm assuming yours will be fine too.

My FFW and REW works great too.

I didn't use any special characters in my WPA security, so I'm not sure how that works, but l had mine up and running in 10 minutes too.

What you'll notice is that while your MP3s and other music files sound good on your computer or portable device (ie iPod), when you hook up your Squeezebox, any MP3s under 192bps will sound horrible thru your home system and you'll really hear the compression - that's what I found, anyway. I guess it will depend on the quality of the rest of your system too. 320, VBR or FLAC is what I do and this takes up lots more disc space.. I have 100G and counting.

I'm using it wirelessly and sometimes when streaming FLAC files, the Squeezebox can't keep up and it cuts out as the file is trying to play.. VERY ANNOYING. I have a brand spankin' new router that supports the "G" and mimo, but unfortunately the Squeezebox still has a problem.

Not sure why, but the signal on my laptop from the living room is very strong sometimes and only 2 bars other times. The Squeezebox is pretty far from my computer and there are lots of walls in between.... YMMV.

Overall, however, I am VERY pleased with the Squeezebox. It's convenience is well worth the money!

Let us know how things turn out!

Tom.

I am using ALAC for all my files. FF/REW works to jump to the next song (if that is what you meant), but it does absolutely nothing when you hold down the button to scan through the current song.

My only gripe [major one] with an otherwise fantastic product.

Folks,
Thanks for the replies. Dang, I guess I was under the serious misconception that a nas could be used to stream music without the computer being on. Owell, that would have just been WAY cool for me. I would have really preferred that if possible. Though I guess it makes technical sense now that I think about it. It's just disappointing. :(

As for the FF/RW buttons working or not, that may not be a big deal to me either way. I don't often rewind or fast forward except to track to the song I am looking for anyway.

So no suggestions as to what NAS to use? I thought that this one may be a good way to go:

http://www.airlink101.com/products/anas350.html

It does both IDE and SATA via RJ-45 and USB 2.0. Kind of a jack of all trades.

-capT

For what it's worth, you don't need a really high-spec computer to run the SlimServer software. You certainly don't need your everyday computer left running.

SlimServer has some fairly low minimum requirements, and I am running it on something even lower. I'm running it on an old Pentium II with 128 MB RAM under Windows 2000. Admittedly it's a high-end IBM server, and the performance could be better, but I've never had a glitch.

I am using ALAC for all my files. FF/REW works to jump to the next song (if that is what you meant), but it does absolutely nothing when you hold down the button to scan through the current song.

My only gripe [major one] with an otherwise fantastic product.

FF/REW in scan mode is not supported in a couple of formats. I guess ALAC is one of them. It works on the ones I use regularly (mp3, FLAC).

Actually, it *IS* possible to run Slimserver (the Squeezebox controller software) directly off a NAS, so you can access your library without your computer having to be on. Infrant Technologies offers various NAS options pre-configured with Slimserver. More info here... http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_infrant.html

If you do some googling, you'll find various other DIY internet resources explaining how it can be done (albeit a bit cumbersome).

Originally, I had planned on installing Slimserver onto my Buffalo Tech Linkstation NAS. However, with the frequent slimserver upgrades, and new plug-ins, I found it's easier just to run it off my home office laptop.

If you want to "try before you buy" just d/l slimserver and softsqueeze (their Squeezebox emulator), and test it's functionality for free!

As Amy pointed out, the computer needs are pretty minimal. I use an IMac that has an external HDD to store the music collection on...... but you could EASILY use the cheapest Mac Mini to run the software. Depending on your A/V set up, you might even be able to connect it to your TV and use it as the monitor for it as well. The Mac mini has wireless built in, which is useful for d/l the Album art and info into ITunes, but since the mini is so small and may be able to be accommodated near your A/V equipment, you may choose to connect the SB directly to the mini by lan cable. In this instance you would be able to avoid the occassional interrmittant signal loss our prez mentioned, and would be unimpacted by running a microwave. If you actually chose this option.... you can buy the non-wireless version of the SB which would save you 50 bucks to put towards the mini. ;)

Folks,
Well our computers are on often enough that having it on would not be a problem necessarily, I was just under the impression that others have told me that they had the nas specifically so that the computer didn't have to be on. I still think that would be cool so I will indeed look at the link that Sleepysurf put up. I've seen the mac mini and have to admit, it is TINY! Wow! I am sure I could fit it somewhere on my entertainment center, but I have a wireless router only about 15 feet from the entertainment center with no walls in between, direct line of site. So I am pretty sure that if there were issues they wouldn't be too bad. Its just the computers can get kind of noisy with their fans and it is nice to have them off while listening to music. They are all in the same room, directly behind my couch on the wall behind it. I'll look into that link and see what I can see. Thanks!

-capT

One other point... I kept having dropouts when running my Squeezebox wirelessly, due to interference from my cordless phone and microwave. Fortunately, I had a Cat5e run to my media wall, so now just use the Squeezebox with the wired network connection.

I may have to use the wireless, simply because I can't fit any more cables under my carpet! :eek: I already have the cable for the cable modem and two 10 gauage cables for the surround speakers. Sure it is only 50 ft with the twists and turns of the wall, maybe 20 feet at most direct line of site. That and I have not yet had network problems on my wireless since we use a 900 mhz phone still, and the microwave hasn't bothered it, even though it is probably only 10 to 15 ft from the router.

In any case, thanks for the link, it has proved to be fascinating. I have found the forum on the slimdevices website, and there are several threads where there is discussion of how to use NAS's as servers. It seems that there are some nas's that have simple OS's on them, and have the ability to install the linux version of the slimserver on them, and it supposedly works well. I figure I'll look into that. My wife is already wanting to get a nas to put our digital pictures and mp3's etc on so that we don't need to each keep separate copies of them on each of our machines. I figure why not, if the wife wants more tech stuff and is ok with it, so am I! :rocker:

Now I just need to read up on how this works, and look to see where I can get a nas like that and find out how much they cost, and then see about saving up for it.

-capT

Quick update, I did some further research and found two different NAS's that would do the trick, both of which sound awesome, but that Buffalo Linkstation sure looks great! Especially for the price! There is a Qnap nas that looks neat too, but for the same price, without a HDD in it, I think I'll go with the Buffalo one. It seems to be well supported according to the slim devices forums, and I like the idea of the web access from anywhere! That would be really handy to share pictures with my extended family, and it is available 24/7 too! I can probably put my own website on it too, and get rid of any size restrictions at my current website. This sounds like a real deal!

I also downloaded that softsqueeze program and had it emulate the squeezebox 3, and I have to say if that is really how the squeezebox works, then I am all for it. It seems to work well, so I may just have to try it out.

-capT

I've seen the mac mini and have to admit, it is TINY! Wow! I am sure I could fit it somewhere on my entertainment center, but I have a wireless router only about 15 feet from the entertainment center with no walls in between, direct line of site. So I am pretty sure that if there were issues they wouldn't be too bad. Its just the computers can get kind of noisy with their fans and it is nice to have them off while listening to music.

I have a Mac Mini and I use a Sony 42" Plasma as my bedroom TV and the monitor for that computer when I am using it (not all that often) I don't think the Mac Mini has a fan on it! If it does it is the quietest fan I have NEVER heard! :D Oh, I think you have to buy the Mini w/ wireless, at least that was the case when I got mine...I ended up getting the top of that line for blue tooth, etc...it was still less than $800 and it is one AWESOME little machine!

The Mini is a sweet little machine. It makes NO noise, allows you to have a full fledged computer connected to your pc, so you can surf the web and do email if desired with the wireless keyboard and mouse. And since it IS wireless, there would be no wires to run to a router, but would allow you to connect your music library directly to the squeezebox for an interference free signal. Right now I use an Imac located upstairs, and a wireless connection, but will probably add a Mini and move the external HDD at some point in the future. :rocker:

I'm coming late to this thread (been out of contact for 3 weeks or so), and I see that your questions have been basically answered. I just wanted to chime in for the Infrant NAS line. I picked up their ReadyNAS NV+ product earlier this year and am very happy with its price and capabilities. Searching the internet, I was able to find a diskless unit for about $600, along with 4 360MB drives for about $75 apiece, giving a 900GB server for a little over $900. Not bad! It was really easy to set up, too. I had the whole thing set up and running in under 30 minutes. Its also been running 24/7 for the last six months without a hiccup. The thing I really liked about it was their version of RAID-5 (they call it XRAID, I believe). Not only are all four of the drives hot-swap SATA drives, but whenever the minimum size of all of the installed drive increases, the total size of the RAID-5 array is automatically increased. I'm currently only using about fifteen percent of available array size, but I'm going to start putting ripped videos on it later this year and that will start eating up more space. At that time I'll just sequentially hot-swap four 500GB drives and I'll automatically have a 1.4 terabyte server.

I would suppose that it would still need a keyboard, mouse and monitor? With the NAS device, it does not require that at all, I can just telnet to it or FTP to it, which I am very familiar with as I am a frequent Unix/Linux user. In my case I am thinking that the NAS would be a very good solution to what I want to do, not only for the squeezebox, for several other things as well. It can be my webserver, my fileserver, and I can access the music and the pictures etc from outside my network over the internet. I could probably set up a Mini to do this too I suppose, since it is unix/BSD/Darwin based (at least I think it is), but I think I would prefer the NAS in the long run.

-capT

You're right in that the NAS (at least, my ReadyNAS NS+ unit) doesn't have a monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I simply run a program called, believe it or not, RAIDar on one of systems on the same LAN, and it finds the NAS and opens a control window in the default browser. (Note that there is a RAIDar app for unix, windows, or mac in various languages.)

The Mini is a sweet little machine. It makes NO noise, allows you to have a full fledged computer connected to your pc, so you can surf the web and do email if desired with the wireless keyboard and mouse.

Yup, just the way I do it too. I can read and send emails as well as surf the web or do WP right from my bed. No wires or cables to fuss with at all! I use a Gyration mouse too so I don't even need a place to put my mouse! LOVE IT!

Back