Question - Turn a Sequel panel into a center channel speaker?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsmooth

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Questions for the elders. What would I have to do to make the above happen? There is a usable Sequel panel on eBay that is peaking my interests. Can I just set the Denon to the 250hz panel crossover point and spread the low end to the fronts and subwoofer? Would that be pointless for a center channel’s speaker? What other sort of electronics would this require; power source, transformer, hv board? Any input would be great.

Thanks

You will need a way to charge the panel. The panel needs a very high voltage to get charged. Once you do this then you will need to send the amplified signal to the panel. The panel needs to be braced well so as not to distort.

You can find some step by step Instructions at the link below.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2018

Last edited:
Cherian linked to the definitive answer, my thread on my SL3XC center. :D

I gather you are thinking of using the ESL panel sideways below a screen, correct?

If so, then be aware that your horizontal dispersion is limited to the width of the panel (or about 46").

Fine if you and maybe one other person, but that be about it. As soon as you moved off-axis enough, the center would be dead.

So there are some challenges if you go that route.

The other caveat is that a used panel on eBay, even if functional, is probably end-of-life anyway. As that’s usually why people buy new panels.
You’re still short the ESL energizer and a few other parts, like an audio step-up transformer.

IF anyone really, really wants to do something like I did, then I have a brand-new-in-box SL3 panel and the complete unmolested audio and step up board from an SL3 that I might be persuaded to part with.

Delusions of granger on my part. I see you addressed the horizontal placement of a panel center channel speaker in your SL3XC post. I have a feeling that this project would require more work then the reward would warrant.

Back