Question on Summit setup..again

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markoullini

Reaction score
Hey again folks..

Finally chose my new setup to work with the Summits and I'm having trouble understanding how to connect my components. Pardon the ignorance but I'm new to hi-fi setups..

Anyway I'm planning to drive my Summits with the Nuforce P9 preamp & Ref9 V2SE amp.

I have been provided with bi-wire cables. The + and - of each monoblock split into two cables each, which goes to the + - of the highs and + - of the bass drivers. Now as I understand it both the passive panel and the active bass driver are being driven by a speaker level signal. Is that okay or should I connect the bass driver with a line level signal? If so, from where?

Also, the preamp & amp are connected with XLR cables whereas the CD->preamp and amp->speakers are connected with standard cable. Do i get an increment in performance or should I avoid mixing cable types in the system?

Thanks!

Hey again folks..

Finally chose my new setup to work with the Summits and I'm having trouble understanding how to connect my components. Pardon the ignorance but I'm new to hi-fi setups..

Anyway I'm planning to drive my Summits with the Nuforce P9 preamp & Ref9 V2SE amp.

I have been provided with bi-wire cables. The + and - of each monoblock split into two cables each, which goes to the + - of the highs and + - of the bass drivers. Now as I understand it both the passive panel and the active bass driver are being driven by a speaker level signal. Is that okay or should I connect the bass driver with a line level signal? If so, from where?

Also, the preamp & amp are connected with XLR cables whereas the CD->preamp and amp->speakers are connected with standard cable. Do i get an increment in performance or should I avoid mixing cable types in the system?

Thanks!

You don't want line level connections to the Summits. Bi-wiring isn't 100% necessary and IMHO doesn't really gain you much of anything with the Ref 9s. (I ran Ref 9s initilly with my Summits).

Do use the XLR connection capability between preamp and amps. Besides being a tad quieter, it is more physically secure. I once blew the fuses in an amp when a single ended connection from a preamp shook loose due to bass rumble and intermittantly created an open circuit between the preamp and the amp. If you can connect the CDP to the preamp via XLR do that also. Speaker cables connect by their own means (unrelated to RCA single endeds or XLR balanced) usually involving banana plugs or spade lugs or just the old..twist the wire insert though hole and tighten....

Last edited:
Thanks Jerry. You mean I want line level to the subs, right?
How do I achieve that? Connect the subs straight from the CD player (or preamp) with banana plugs?

Also irrelevant but as you may know, the P9 preamp doesnt have balanced input.

You are correct: both pairs of terminals on the Summits are speaker level inputs. Connect them both to your power amp's speaker terminals.

Dont mean to tie things down but which one is it.. Speaker level to highs & line level to lows, or speaker level to both (bi-wire) ?

Thanks Jerry. You mean I want line level to the subs, right?
How do I achieve that? Connect the subs straight from the CD player (or preamp) with banana plugs?

Also irrelevant but as you may know, the P9 preamp doesnt have balanced input.

My bad...I left out a word....should have read...you don't want line level.....

Back