Question about ethernet connections in HTs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nik

Reaction score
Seems like alot of items need a ethernet hookup- my question is how do you split the main signal without loosing quality and speed? I need to hookup my blu-ray, HDDVD, receiver, PS2, XBOX 360, and my Airport Express. Thanks for your help!
Nik

If it's real Ethernet, as in digital networking, you hook each device to a central switch. True switches will route traffic independently to connected devices rather than dropping all traffic onto a common bus, ala a "hub" instead of a switch.

Maybe something like this (roughly $80 US) if it's all local traffic, or something like this (also roughly $80 US) if some of the devices need to get to the Internet also.

Last edited:
or something like this (also roughly $80 US) if some of the devices need to get to the Internet also.
Nik,
Steve is 100% correct use a switch, not a hub or router. I use a six port Linksys switch like Steve's link above for the 8 port. I have 3 computors a Wii system and my Music Server all hooked up using a switch. I originally bought a router, which did not work with my internet service. The switch has worked perfect and connection was a breeze.

Yes, make sure its a switch and not a hub or router. I've got an 8-port 10/100/1000 switch at my HT (my internal net is a gigabit lan), and I'm currently using seven of the ports. Works like a champ.

Back