Question about CD Burning?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbes2702

Reaction score
I am going to burn a cd with some songs I think would make good demos for customers. My question is, what type of song should I download. What speed and encoding and all that? It is going to be playing on a Denon CD player and I will just be using regular CD+R disc or -R. And if I am just using Roxio burn that came with my PC is that ok or is there a better burner I should get?

I am going to burn a cd with some songs I think would make good demos for customers. My question is, what type of song should I download. What speed and encoding and all that? It is going to be playing on a Denon CD player and I will just be using regular CD+R disc or -R. And if I am just using Roxio burn that came with my PC is that ok or is there a better burner I should get?

Very good questions. I too would like to know the answer to this as I am confused on the subject as well.

Glen

Now will any lossless audio file type work as long it is burnt using the correct method.

depends on the software you use. Nero will burn audio cds directly from Flacs, but others might require you to convert the files to wav first. im not sure about EAC, ive always used wav files when using it.

BTW, the original poster mentioned roxio, it is a terrible program for "perfect" discs. in the trading circles its the joke name when a bad disc surfaces.

Are you going to burn on your PC or a stand-alone CD recorder? If the former, then EAC is the best that I have used. The type of song is a personal taste issue. If you are doing equipment demos, then you want to have songs that have a natural sound to them, not gimmicky studio effects. Vocals with small group backup are often very effective in this regard. A mixture of jazz, like Holly Cole, Diana Krall, Patricia Barber (all very well recorded originals), pop (Neil Young at Massey Hall, Tom Brousseau, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell) to name a few. Regular CD-Rs work fine if you are going to burn once and finalize. Further, they work in all machines. Good quality (Mobile Fidelity gold) CDs are worth using if you are planning on archiving these demo discs.

oh, in that case just make a flac finger print of the files, burn as data disc in program of your choosing, and then verify the check sums after your done to be sure you have an exact copy.

Sorry should have clarified... I didn't mean musical style I meant what type of file ie FLAC or any others

You better check to make sure your Denon player will read a FLAC file, very few will. You will probably have to burn a WAV file to make it compatible for the Denon player.

Unless you feel the need to really load up on numerous music cuts, why not burn it as conventional CD-DA? I have about five such auditioning discs, each with different styles of music. One is mostly vocals, one is harder, with significant bass lines, another is dynamic instrumental jazz and classical, and another is a random mishmash of stuff that I listen to often, so I know what (I think) it should sound like.

I start listening sessions with the vocals disc and work up from there to avoid tiring my ears early on when I want to be able to hear subtlety. Having these as CD-DA means that I can take them anywhere and be assured that the equipment will be able to play them.

Back