Quest Z

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonergan2468

Reaction score
After years of waiting I have managed to get a pair of martin Logan Quest z secondhand. I like electros, I did have a pair of ESL 63 but my living room was not wide enough. Therefore hopefully this hybrid design should suffice, especially my craving for mid range and openness.
My living room is 26ft long by 11 wide.
Equipment

Project RPM 10/RPM 10cc tonearm/ ATOC9
Audiolab 8000 Q pre and 8000 M monoblocks x 4
CD Spark Cayin 17D (running in)
Speaker cables are stereovox.

I managed to get one review on stereophile. I cannot see anything in the ML site apart from a manual. I was wondering what the difference in Quest and Quest Z is.
Be obliged for some info.

Many thanks

Tim

Quest Z's have a more forgiving impedance curve. They are easier for an amplifier to drive.

That is the big point. The Quest had a active Bi Amp Crossover also. They both have magical midrange ! Some of the best I have had !

Hi CAP, nice system. I recently sold my KPS 20i CD player. It was very good, and in fact one of the only players that I could sit and listen to. I got it secondhand, and it initially came from Boston to UK, about 10 years ago. To be honest I really could afford to repair it if it broke down, hence selling it.

I have a pair of quest's driven by a PP 20W 6L6GC amp. They sound amassing.
even in a small room ( 4*5m with halve open wall to similar room)

The impedance might be a bit tricky. I had a SE amp and that was a lousy combination. Biamping has also been impossible for me, but with the tube amp they sound terrific, and for the price....

Thanks , Krell does Digital right. The Quests are a good speaker I had a set and rebuilt them. They are still one of my favorites. Easy to drive and sound well

Read this it may be some help !

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5697&highlight=quest+to+be+different
Interesting, but im not really a DIY person. One thing though; I am not pleased with the condition of the cabinet, the black has strange marks, and it is also a strange texture which is difficult to do anything with unlike piano laq or wood which can be cleaned. Unless I can spray/or hand brush it with something suitable. Any advice.
The quest logo is nice, I would like that on mine. Pic is not too good, hands a bit shakey.

000_0095.jpg

Thnaks

Last edited:
Interesting, but im not really a DIY person. One thing though; I am not pleased with the condition of the cabinet, the black has strange marks, and it is also a strange texture which is difficult to do anything with unlike piano laq or wood which can be cleaned. Unless I can spray/or hand brush it with something suitable. Any advice.
The quest logo is nice, I would like that on mine. Pic is not too good, hands a bit shakey.

000_0095.jpg

Thnaks

Two things

1. The black paint is some strange form of paint used by ML. I "clean" my cabinet (the black paint) with a very light coat of wood treatment (Sc...th Gold) and buff it lightly until it is dry. There are a few posts scattered on this forum about it.

2. Do you cover all of the glass on the front wall when listening to music?

The repainting can be done with Rattle Can Spray paint. That is exactly what i used. You need to smooth that nasty Nextel paint out. If its the original velvet type it takes a bit of elbow grease with 91% isoprophyl alcohol . It will get smooth then just start with several light coats. If its not the gooey velvet just lightly palm sand with 220 then re coat with this, this stuff is great for fine texture !

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=20&SBL=1
Or this is what I used http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=31

Two things

1. The black paint is some strange form of paint used by ML. I "clean" my cabinet (the black paint) with a very light coat of wood treatment (Sc...th Gold) and buff it lightly until it is dry. There are a few posts scattered on this forum about it.

2. Do you cover all of the glass on the front wall when listening to music?

At the other end of the room there is a bay window, which has pelmets and curtins, the curtins go along the bay,( heavy lining) and out side there are side curtins for effect only. The wood panel door behind the speakers was recently put in as there was an awful old patio glass sliding door with aliminium frames. The previous owners built a dining room extension behind the living room, and left the patio door there.It was an eye sore, the wooden doors look much better, and better sonically. Glass reflects. Mind you, I have been thinking of putting up curtins behind the speakers, and these could be closed for listening sessions, if it would improve the sound though.

Last edited:
At the other end of the room there is a bay window, which has pelmets and curtins, the curtins go along the bay,( heavy lining) and out side there are side curtins for effect only. The wood panel door behind the speakers was recently put in as there was an awful old patio glass sliding door with aliminium frames. The previous owners built a dining room extension behind the living room, and left the patio door there.It was an eye sore, the wooden doors look much better, and better sonically. Glass reflects. Mind you, I have been thinking of putting up curtins behind the speakers, and these could be closed for listening sessions, if it would improve the sound though.

I have my Quests about 4 feet away from the wall with a 50" plasma about 1 foot away from the wall. I cover the TV with a relatively thick micro fiber small blanket and it really helps bring the sound where it should be. If you get the chance try some curtains. I think that you will be very happy with the results.

I have my Quests about 4 feet away from the wall with a 50" plasma about 1 foot away from the wall. I cover the TV with a relatively thick micro fiber small blanket and it really helps bring the sound where it should be. If you get the chance try some curtains. I think that you will be very happy with the results.

There is a big plasma tv in the bay window. I have placed a blanket over the TV. Will see how it goes.

Back